1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I buy chrome mirrors?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by s4mark, Nov 13, 2009.

1. s4mark

s4mark Member

Hi.
    The S3 is coming off the road for a week in next month for a full professional respray. I have already ordered all my replacement bits ie. mouldings, badges etc.
    Now the question is should I go for chrome mirrors or keep with my normal covers? At the moment its going phantom black and the standard avus wheels going dark grey but im in two minds to fit chrome mirrors or just stay body coloured. Plus I bet they're not cheap even with a discount from audi. Wanted to avoid replica ones off ebay as have heard some bad reviews on them or has anyone found some decent ones?

Will get some pics up when its all complete

Cheers
  2. grathies

grathies More Points Than Portsmouth FC

Its personal choice really

The first thing I did when I got my S3 home was rip the Chrome mirrors off (Their actually aluminium but to me their chrome!) Think their like £300 the pair new from Audi or something but you couldnt pay me that to put them on my car!

I think they can work better on darker cars, but for me they just look like the shiny silver mirrors that Halfords sell! Plus Ive heard about people stealing them on quite a regual basis, not heard many people complain about thier painted caps going missing!

Each to their own tho, some people on here dont think its an S3 without them
  3. cabby86

cabby86 Member

Not sure really, personally I have never been a fan of the chrome mirrors, mine has plastic matt finish silver ones fitted, they were on the car when I bought it from Audi, personally I prefer them to the shiny aluminum ones, the finish is the same as the B7 RS4 mirrors. The other plus is that they are much less likely to get ripped off and stolen!!

I have attached a picture below of my S3 to show what they are like, I will try and get a close up at some point.

Cheers

Chris

[​IMG]
  4. s4mark

s4mark Member

thanks for your advice am going to stay with the painted ones i think and tbh i can do with saving the cash as there is bound to be something else I stumble across whilst repairing it knowing my luck
  5. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

GIven the frequency with which the metal ones get nicked I think your safer with colour coded ones.
  6. MintyS3

MintyS3 Works 60% the time, Everytime.

I love my alu ones. Think they are one of the best bits about the car.
  7. Mr.G

Mr.G Active Member

Love mine after purchasing them and fitting them. Mines a dark colour so it does look better.

The last quote i had for new items was £400 each.

G
  8. grathies

I think the best bits about the S3 is the engine, interior, arches... :p each to their own tho, thats what makes S3 ownership so good, what different people get from their cars, some owners are terrified that I love using mine for dump trips! I do that alot, scrapping in all the Alu mirrors I go round stealing :p I just hate chrome etc, had to change my grille surround too!
  9. MintyS3

MintyS3 Works 60% the time, Everytime.

Need to change your mtm badge! :nyah:
  10. grathies