do exhaust tips get really dirty or just black rust?

mrggg

Reaction score
I have seen some audis on the facelift shape and 1 or 2 had dirty or black rusty exhaust tips. What is the reason for this? I am suspicious they may have had clocks changed?

Bit of both in my experience, mine is a 2011 with ~33k miles on it when I bought it, exhaust tips looked pretty blackened/corroded but a blast with a rag and some metal polish soon put a proper shine on them like new, a lot of people probably never actually wash the tips when they wash the car so they just go black over time with the exhaust soot build up.

I wash my car probably every week or two and after a week (~300 miles) of driving the inside bottom of the tips tends to have a thin layer of soot on that wipes off with a cloth, wouldn't spend too much time worrying about the condition of the tips unless they are legtimately rusty/damaged underneath.

*edit* missed the "reason" bit, I can only imagine it's caused by the car running rich at various times under high boost or alike. The design of the tips also doesn't help matters compared to your standard straight thin exhaust tip as the ends are rolled over and form a nice lip on the inside for particulates to build up on.

Last edited:
After a long or hard drive, i just wipe the tips off with a wet rag...done. Sooner you wipe the soot away the less it will bake on!

Hi mrggg. Not sure if you actually mean rust or soot but my 06 A4 quattro special edition had black painted tips from factory..

Some come with black tips as standard, some are basic steel & others are chrome, but they get dirty unbelievably fast in sh**ty conditions ..much quicker than any other car I've owned.

When I bought mine I thought it had black tips, a couple of weeks later I decided to give them a wipe over to get the grey looking road dirt off & was surprised when I spotted a glint underneath the crud! 10 minutes after fetching the metal polish they were gleaming chrome and have been ever since.

I recommend Autoglym or Autosol and a mutton cloth, used in the "shoe shine" method.

Tailpipes Enhanced

Reactions: nezz