Do all Audi S3 8l have self leveling Xenon headlights?

alexsl

Reaction score
Hi,

My Norwegian MOT is soon coming up and I need new headlight, but can't figure out if mye lights are self leveling? They need to be, don't they?

And are all S3's coming with xenon? Cause I can't see the "leveling engine", just the manual adjuster on the side.

- Alex -

As far as I am aware they all are... its plausible someone has replaced the light switch with one from an A3...

Check for the level sensors... will be on the right hand side of the car as you look at the front... under the front wheel arch there will be a sensor attached to the chassis leg with a rod connected to the front suspension arm... at the rear there will be a sensor attached by a rod on the lower tie bar

<tuffty/>

Thanks! :) Guess it's from an A3 then, because I've seen the sensor in the front wheele arch and at the rear.

I should be okay to buy the headlamps with electric leveling then? Is the "leveling engine" located inside the headlight it self, or is it a mechanism on the outhside?

Im asking because after I fittet the intercooler, one of the headlights are pointing down in front of the car..

Maybe some stupid questions her, but I've heard theres no such thing as that.. :p

All you need to do is fit the motors from the original headlights and they will work... should note that all aftermarket headlight units are halogen... there are no xenon aftermarket units available that I have seen... OE units are very expensive...using a HID kit in halogens headlights is technically illegal in the UK... don't know about Norway..

I recently retrofitted bi-xenon projector units to aftermarket halogen headlights with great results,,,

<tuffty/>

Think I need to take a closer look at it tomorrow, and try to refit the motors when I get the new headlights, or maybe I'll try to retrofit the same way as you have done :)

Don't think its leagal i Norway either..

xenons also need the washer jets on the bumper iirc.
Yes, I know mate..

Just took of my headlights, and they look pretty knackered. Don't know if my self leveling motor is working, is there any way to find that out? Couldn't se any movment when i turned the lights on..

I might just buy an A3 headlight (is that self adjusting? ), put it on and pry that i will go through the MOT :p
Will this fit with the "sockets" ?

Or just buy one from here :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221588530620

Any headlight you buy new generally doesn't come with a new levelling motor assuming this is the issue...

You can try this to test the levelling system...
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/xenonalignment.html

Run the above and see if the headlights have any adjustment... if one or both don't move using the above then its the motors that are potentially at fault... these can be bought separately from an Audi dealer

<tuffty/>

Thanks! I'm gonna buy some of those clips for sure! :)

My headlighst are also full of water and got a lot of cracks on the underside of the lens.. Think I need new lights,,

Thinking of just buying two A3 facelift headlights and fit aftermarket xenon.. Anyone done that? :)

My bi-xenon automatically scan up and down when I start the engine - it's pretty obvious when they do it

Yes, I guess they're f*****.. Just need to figure out whats easiest and cheapest to do :)