DMF replacement on trade-in A4 B8?

Tim P

Reaction score
What should I do?

I have a new A5 2.0 sportback tfsi Quattro Black Edition plus on order and I am still driving the A4 B8 that I am trading in on this purchase. I am pretty sure that the A4 has developed a DMF issue. My question is do I have it replaced or do I sweat it out and hope it doesn't affect my trade in deal (vehicle already assesed). I have had the A4 in to the Audi dealers three times (after trade-in assesment) with the symptoms and twice they didn't diagnose DMF issues (1st time they said it was the fuel filter and changed that) The second time they said there was nothing wrong with the car and had witnessed no issues while they had it (for 2 days)and then the final time after further investigation the service department called me and said that the noise was coming from the clutch/gearbox area but as I was trading it in on a new car recommended that I shouldn't authorise any further investigation work as it would be a further 4.5 hrs cost to take clutch and gearbox out and as I was trading it in that I should leave it alone. I am not sure if the sales team who I would guess will check the car over again nearer the delivery date will have the same view on this so I am now not sure whether to get the work done or not..... Help. Any advice welcomed

Tim P

Few things here you haven't mentioned. Is the dealer you are going to, the same dealer that's selling you the A5?

Is the A4 still under warranty? If not, then I see no reason why you would want to spend money to fix the issue prior to picking up your new car. If it is still under warranty, then I suggest you should insist on the car getting fixed, to prevent further damage to the car, incase it effects your agreed part ex deal.

How long left before your new car arrives? If it's only a few weeks away, and the clutch isn't slipping, I guess you could sweat it out and look forward to your new purchase.

Entirely up to you at the end of the day.

Reactions: Tim P
Hi

The dealer is the same one I'm buying the new car from and no, the A4 is not inside warranty. The new car is still 12-14 weeks away from delivery.

I suppose I am concerned that the dealer will try to alter the trade- in price if they detect the issue on collection (they didn't mention it when they appraised it but it seems to be getting worse). But I would be angry considering the service desk staff said to leave it as it's being traded in .

I've never had any trade ins re-assessed once the deal has been signed. My guess is that dealers realise that an older car will have some issues that need sorting before they put it on their forecourt. You could be a layman and not know any of this stuff. If you were you'd be none the wiser. Personally, I'd just drive your A4 as easy as possible, don't thrash it and I think you'll be fine. If it does go then you've no choice but I'd let the car decide that.

Reactions: Tim P
No I haven't unfortunately. Only doing 10 miles each way to work on dual carriageway though. Today the engine sounded as though it was only firing on 3 cylinders at low revs..... not sounded this bad before.:grumpy: Hope it makes it....

Sounds a lot when you add it up doesn't it!!! My local back street garage will replace it inc clutch kit for £950....

I wouldn't bother telling them if your trading it in.

Incidentally, can you not hold out for the new model A5 that comes out this year?

£950 sounds a bit steep, i just had mine done but i had other work done as well. the clutch was 550 & a good mechanic should not take more than about three hours to do it

It's around £350 just for parts( he gave me the option to supply) not sure how long it will take to do but best part of a day I would guess. And yes, I considered waiting for new model but miles are building up on my A4 (93k) and the discounts on the current model are just too good to miss...

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
@Tim P I can see why you went for it then. The current A5 is the best looking coupe/Sportback out there in my opinion.

What colour/Spec did you go for?

2.0 tfsi Quattro Sportback black edition plus in missano red. Interior light package, Audi drive select, folding wing mirrors and lowered s line suspension. I went with the black gloss wheels too...

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
If you have already signed paperwork on collection they won't even touch your car til you've left usually, I know in the past when I've traded cars In I've arrived, looked and the new car and signed paperwork and left, they've not bothered to check my old car again.

Let's hope it is the case when I pick up mine. I'll hide it in the back of their car park...:whistle2:

I had another garage look at it on Tuesday this week and they were adamant that the fault was not a DMF failure but some kind of fuel system problem. They refused to replace the DMF (at £780 quote) They took a punt as it was showing fault code P1063 fuel pressure control not reached and replaced the fuel pressure sensor at cost of £75 unfortunately this didn't solve the problem... Still none the wiser !!

I know you are right but I've still got to drive it for probably another 8 weeks and it's sending me mad !!!! Going to give it one last chance with a guy tomorrow that I've found who is an ex VW group master technician. If he can't work it out I will leave it as it is and hope for the best come 'New Car' collection day....

Problem found.... N279 fuel metering valve was faulty. Unit replaced and now working well. I have no idea why Audi couldn't find this fault when they had it in (3 times !!) It cost me £600 at an independent but worth it for peace of mind come trade in on new car collection day. Thinking of asking Audi for money I paid them for failing to detect an apparently simple fuel rail issue.... what do you think?

Reactions: jojo