DMF failure.

Y83OLK

Hulk Smash!
Reaction score
Hi all.
Pretty sure my DMF (dual mass flywheel) is on its last legs.
I hit a speedbump at a pretty high speed the other day..ever since ive had a lovely chatter from the gearbox on idle.
Whenever i dip the clutch the chatter remains... or when i pull away in a low gear i get a nice big knock.:banghead:

So, any ideas on the cost/ time/ whats involved?
Should imagine, exhaust, prop, shafts, subframe off. box out (drain oil??) renew slave, dmf, clutch, rear crank seal (may aswell) re-assemble and 4 wheel alignment?

Doubt ill attempt it myself, as i neither have the time nor effort.
Any idea how much Audi charge for the job? compared to an independant?

cheers
Callum.

Won't be cheap bud from Audi....

I paid just over £300 for a LuK DM flywheel, clutch and slave.... retail on the DM alone from Audi is over £500... the job looks to be a pain but I will be doing mine when I do the head and other stuff on my car so hopefully a little easier to get too... I also bought new flywheel and clutch bolts from a dealer...

From what I have read its driveshafts undone, prop undone (3 bolts, easy enough to do) and drop the front of the subframe to allow the box out plus all the obvious stuff to undo and unclip etc...

Its heavy... very heavy.... not looking forward to it but rather do it myself than pay someone as its an 8 hour job for a dealer IIRC...

<tuffty/>

Thats a ****** good price @ £300, hopefully i should be able source it for a similar cost.
Im literally cringing at the thought of doing it myself and ive done some b*stard gearboxes before...

My advice... fit a solid flywheel conversion kit. Get rid of the dual mass. Soon as i can afford it mines coming out. My flywheel clunks when i dip the clutch too. I will be getting the parts & fitting for a very decent price. Ether LUK or Valeo both great makes in my eyes.

My local factors can get the bits for £320 from LUK, so a little bit more than tufftys price.
Im not a fan of SMf's daz, i have fitted them on mk4/5 golfs and they vibrate like hell idling.

How long do you think i could string this out for before the Flywheel goes bang?

Not sure pal, but i wouldn't worry too much about it. What factors do you use ?