DIY timing belt Service...

jimbooboo

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning on doing my timing belt in a few week and have bought all the parts, from eurocarpart so I trust they are decent as they're contitech etc..

I plan on following this guide:
DIY: B7 A4 Timing Belt Change

BUT

I've recently heard a few stories of the tensioner bolt snapping and causing some expensive damage so I'm now a little worried about it as the problems have occurred even when fitted by a professional mechanic.

I've been and bought all the tools, locking equipment etc. I don't feel like I'd have any issues doing the job but what if the tensioner bolt fails on me despite being fitted exactly to spec?

Would I have a leg to stand on? Is this a common problem? What can I do to make sure chances of this happening are absolutely minimal?

Thanks, James

use a new bolt
and tq it up right
you wont have problems.

the 2 iv herd of snapping wasnt changed.

Hi,

I'm planning on doing my timing belt in a few week and have bought all the parts, from eurocarpart so I trust they are decent as they're contitech etc..

I plan on following this guide:
DIY: B7 A4 Timing Belt Change

BUT

I've recently heard a few stories of the tensioner bolt snapping and causing some expensive damage so I'm now a little worried about it as the problems have occurred even when fitted by a professional mechanic.

I've been and bought all the tools, locking equipment etc. I don't feel like I'd have any issues doing the job but what if the tensioner bolt fails on me despite being fitted exactly to spec?

Would I have a leg to stand on? Is this a common problem? What can I do to make sure chances of this happening are absolutely minimal?

Thanks, James

Out of the millions of cambelts fitted how many actually fail outside of OCD Owners Group Forum-land

Buy a new bolt, fit it to the correct torque spec. Job done.