DIY Timing Belt - First time!

pj123

Reaction score
I've got someone to help me with doing my timing belt on my 1999 S3 (APY). He has done a few other VWs and reckon we can do it ourselves. (i've never done one but happy to tackle most things)

First off which bits do i need to replace? Belt, tensioner and 1 or 2 pulleys?

With the waterpump do most people replace with a metal impeller now. Where is the best place to get all of these bits and is there a good brand to get? I'll need some coolant. Have I missed anything?

Any other tips for the S3 or is it fairly standard across all vags?

Any 'how-to' guides kicking around?

Any dvice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Paul.

I've got to say if you've never done it before, it's a bit tricky, you need to raise and lower the engine to wiggle the driverside engine mount out, the rest is straight forward cambelt change stuff.

ECP are as good as anywhere for the parts, I ordered over phone pretending to be a trader and got a decent discount. The normal timing belt kit comes with the tensioner but best to get the damper as well. The cheaper water pump that ECP sell has a metal impeller and will do fine.
You will need to get it on some axle stands and something to prop the engine, I did it on a jack with a block inbetween so nothing got damaged, you'll have to move the engine up and down a bit to get the mount off.
Also, don't pull the pin on the damper until you are sure the timing is right, I was one tooth out and it's a real pig to compress back down.

Kits contain either one or two pulleys. How many will i need?

Is it normal to replace the damper. Is the pin you pull not on the tensioner?

Biggest tip is to mark the top pulley and timing belt and crank pulley and timming belt then transfer those marks to new belt. That way u can't fail but to time it up correctly. Makes the whole job a lot easier and you don't havew to worry you're 1 tooth out on the belt.

You'll need the one pully, as far as I am aware this is the tensioner.

On top of that it's a good idea to change the vibration damper, this is the silver part with a piston at the top, this sits against the bracket on the tensioner. It comes compressed with a pin in it, don't pull the pin until you are sure the timing is right.

Stole a pic from Tuffty's build thread to show you the parts. Tensioner has the off centre bolt, vibration damper is the silver bit with Audi logo, piston on top and a roller at the bottom.

IMG_3499.jpg

Thanks guys for your advice and the photo really helps picture it.

I have bought a belt, tensioner, dampener, water pump and gasket, audi coolant and an auxiliary drivebelt while i'm in there.

Is that all i'll need, no idlers or extra pulleys?
what's the best thing to mark pulleys and belt with before removing it?