1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY Servicing

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Marko, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Marko

Marko Member

[Apr 10, 2006]
    I've always done my own servicing and have never taken my cars to a dealer for work (other than cambelt). I'm very familiar with petrol engine requirements but am wondering what other work is essential/desirable with a diesel. The car, 1.9TDi, has done 22,500k miles (reg 2001) and does 8k a year now. I only do short trips to work and hardley get's hot until it's weekend blast. I have done or do the following:-

Oil and filter 505.01 every 6 months
    Air/pollen filter every year.
    Have brakes apart and check yearly
    Forte diesel treatment 6 monthly.

Does anybody do anything else to their car or advise anything different? I've read the service book and nothing strikes me at the current milage. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Regards
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. madvw

madvw Active Member

[Apr 10, 2006]
    dont forget the non-engine bits too, like lubricating the doorlocks and mechanisms (esp. the lock barrel as nobody uses their key to unlock the door anymore), lubricating the sunroof guides, cleaning drain channels, inspecting underseal etc etc
  4. Marko

Marko Member

[Apr 10, 2006]
    Yes, good point. I do most of that... Every now and then I get it on ramps for inspection.

Personally I don't like this variable servicing. I'm a bit stuck in my ways with oil...
  5. peteA3tdi

peteA3tdi Member

[Apr 11, 2006]
    brake fluid change every 2 years, and check the cam belt the top cover unclips and comes off very easy, drain the fuel filter if your not changing it, check the battery water ect
  6. Marko

Marko Member

[Apr 12, 2006]
    Cheers Pete. Where is the fuel filter located? I think I have an idea but not 100% sure.

Regards
  7. peteA3tdi

peteA3tdi Member

[Apr 12, 2006]
    from the front of the car , its on the right, near the back, next to the rocker cover
  8. Marko

Marko Member

[Apr 16, 2006]
    OK, cheers. Will get that changed..