1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY Replacing turbo on 2.0 TDi

x1nick Aug 2, 2012

1. x1nick

x1nick Member

Hi

My turbo has been squealing away badly for the last week so plan on fitting a new one in the next week or so.

My question is, is there any guides on here (searched but couldn't find one) for fitting a new turbo?

I'm no mechanic by trade but have changed timing belts, suspension and lots of other stuff on cars before without issue so can't see a turbo being that difficult?

Im probably going with one of these vw golf passat touran audi a3 2.0 gt-tdi diesel turbo-charger unit 724930 | eBay

Thanks

2. daz678

daz678 New Member

3. Dannykn9

Dannykn9 "Cruise My Ride" VCDS Map User

4. Dannykn9

Dannykn9 "Cruise My Ride" VCDS Map User

You beat me to it daz! :)

5. Gti Jazz Blue

Gti Jazz Blue Active Member VCDS Map User

Having watched my mate change mine, I would say that you really need to do it up on ramps. It can all be done from below using long extension bars. You should get the Oil fee pipe, a full gasket kit with the turbo (if it is a generic one get a proper exhaust gasket from TPS or Audi as we found the generic ones don't fit) I would also get a replacement exhaust clamp. Leave plenty of time - I think the book time is 3 hours. My mate who has done a few did it in 2 1/2 hours. Also a short-cut you can manoeuvre the turbo in/out using the void left by removing the DP by bending the heatshield slightly (saves dropping the subframe).
    Paul

6. x1nick

x1nick Member

Haha don't know how I missed that one?!

Thanks for this

Going to take me about a day to fix everything!

CD player aerial
    Turbo
    Throttle sensor is broken too I think, waiting on VCDS result to confirm
    Rear seatbelt

Never ending!