DIY ebay catch can baffle, is this going to help??

Steveo_A3_1.8t

Reaction score
hello all,
ive had a cheap ebay catch can (toyosports) installed for about 8-9months and all it catches is oily water (apple juice color and consistency)and leaves my breather pipes gunged up, the vent is to the TIP at the moment but may go atmospheric or what ever the right word is lol, you know what i mean.

So i done some rooting around on here and found one of Westy's threads where he mentioned filling the can with brillo pads/wire wool to capture more oil for the fumes, so i gave it a go.

heres what the can looked like when i removed it.

i then removed the top and made a sort of mesh holder for wire wool out of an old airfilter cage and put a bolt through the top to hold it in securely.

I then fluffed up a suitable amount of wire wool and placed of the mesh.

can with top back on.

can back together.

i decided to not just stuff it with wire wool, as when oil is present it may be blown back up/through the wool and out the can, this way i thought the wool would collect the oil from the fumes and then it could drip down into the bottom of the can, and at the same time leave the 'out' port on the can clear.

cant say whether it helps as only fitted it today! but common sense says it should.

your thoughts on this please people.

Steve

Check my thread out.

Wire wool is a fail, I tried it

Cheers for the heads up mate, I just looked at your catch can mod. I'm having trouble understanding how mine is a fail and yours works well thou. When you used wire wool how did you do it? Did you just stuff the can full or make a segment for the wool?

Ta

Steve

Did yoi see the bit where i ditched the wire wool and modded my can to mimic the inside of westys?
The wire wool rots and goes v brittle. Whilst it does reduce condensation its still not adequate.

I replaced with a high density foam, much less porous than wire wool whilst still breathable and it didnt rot, to my amazement.
Sadly I tore the foam when emptying/cleaning out, so have replaced with what I tjink will be better (replaced sunday) its the material used for soundproofing in back boxes, very dense, breathable, resistant.

If you cant get high dense foam, or exhaust wadding, give me a pm.

My mod works. Way more oil and gunk than water, less fumes and heavy breathing, and easy to clean and ring out.

Karl.

I see, I missed that bit just saw the pics of you modding your red toyosports can with the rubber hose and the foam.

So if I leave what I've done alone but swap the wire wool for foam/exhaust baffle do you reckon it will work??

Also, what about fibreglass loft insulation??

Thanks again

Steve

Your cage idea seems a gudden.

What you want to do is srperate the in and out as much as possible. V expensive cans actually have a wall inbetween each bit with complex mesh and foam alloeing it to breathe.

I just took the design of the saiko michi can as it seems good, low and behold it is.

Just try your wire wool idea so you see what i mean.
then replace with something less porous and dense.
Insulation might be ideal.

I would say thougj, looking at yiur pics, I'd have wool/foam/whatever covering the outlet, so the inlet there is no obstruction and it can go to the bottom, then anything in the can has to rise through the material where it will condense and fall. In theory.

I am happy with mine now, its an improvement, and any smells are hard to detect which is great.

Also, I have a more expensive pipercross breather filter, it is miles better than any cheap metal or paper gauze breather, no deterioration yet. It most definately helps with smells too.

Karl.