DIY Disasters

karl7900

Reaction score
During the week I fitted a new bath panel to the side of my bath. Simple enough task it was and thought no more about it till this evening.

Went to the loo before bed time and before heading upstairs (downstairs bathroom btw) closed the bathroom door. Then I heard a strange sound like something falling over in the bathroom.......

So when I tried to open the door to investigate the strange sound, I found I couldn't. The falling over sound was the bath panel disconnecting itself from the side of said bath and jamming the door in a shut position.

Soooo......Having the patience of a not very patient person, I decided to kick a hole in the door. Thus enabling me to reach through and move the bath panel to open the now ****** bathroom door.

IMGP0970.jpg

Looks like I'll be replacing the doors in my house a bit sooner than planned.

Has anybody else had any DIY whoopsies and how did you fix/hide them?:ermm:

lol nice one hong kong phooey.

no major diy disatsters and ive all but rebuilt my house. My dad drilled through my electrics once and ive a few cuts from various stuff (one I stook back together with electrical tape :) )

I fitted a new kitcheck in my old house. A mate came round to help with the units. I started drilling holes in the wall to hang the units from. MY mate said "your brave, you not scrared you'll go all the way through..." guess what... Yep lots of holes in the other side of the wall...

A little later during the refit I decided some more sockets were required, got out my jig saw to cut out the holes in the plaster board and did the same again, cut the hole though both walls... Gotta love these new houses and their thin internal walls...

My mate told me about a story he heard on the radio (I promise this isn't my was of say "Guess what I did" :notme:)!

A guy spends hours fitting a new light in the middle of his hall. When he is done he stands back to admire his handiwork, and goes to open the front door - BANG - it hits the light! So he can't face moving it again so he cuts the top triangle off the door - sufficient to clear the light - and screws this back onto the door frame. So the door now opens and misses the light.

Genius :whistle2:

A mate of mine was spraying damp proofing fluid into a cavity wall, things were going well until they got to a section of wall that was a single brick thick, they pumped a whole load of damp-proofer straight into the customers front room spraying the carpets and sofas!

love the door,. im a joiner , seen a lot of fuk ups , some real good,
1, when i was an apprentice we were refitting a bakery. whilst fitting the glass counters , guy was sliding the top in, bit stiff , so one guy lubed it with oil, big push, slid right off, hit glass counter opposite. 3 pieces shattered all over the floor, 4k. gone in 2 secs..........
2, another one we had , when putting up around 50 attic trusses, 9 hrs work all truss clipped. crane all packed up , driver asked to get his ticket signed before he went, one of our boys was pushing a beam into truss area pushed against a brace, sent the whole lot down like the domino effect. couldnt believe it. guy just stood there looking at them. speechless................. didnt know whether to laugh or jump in van and go ........

another goo one, kitchen fitter on a job. cuts hole out for sink ,oak worktop. 300 bucks worth ,. drew round sink, jigsaw out, drop sink in, right through hole ! forgot to leave extra on for lip. :yahoo:

My personal disaster was when I was replacing a mixer tap shower with a power shower. Turned the water off, took the shower hose off, undid the mixer unit, and then dropped it. It went straight through the ceramic shower tray. So instead of just fitting a power shower, I ended up having to replace the tray and retile. Doh.