1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY debadging - easy to do?

Discussion in 'General Technical / How To' started by razza1, Jan 10, 2009.

1. razza1

razza1 Well-Known Member

[Jan 10, 2009]
    I'm thinking about debadging my A4, is this an easy job, or is it best left to the proffesionals? I don't want to damage the paint work...
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

[Jan 10, 2009]
    Easy - you need some strong thread or dental floss and carefully cut behind the badge with it. You'll then need something to get the glue residue off, and depending what colour your car is and how old, you may need to gently t-cut/colour restore to avoid having a shadow left on the car.
  4. razza1

razza1 Well-Known Member

[Jan 10, 2009]
    It's Phantom black and only a couple of years old, so shouldn't be any paint fade, hopefully won't have to be a t-cut job then.

What's best to get the glue residue off with?
  5. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

[Jan 10, 2009]
    I can't remember what I used on mine - I think it was either WD40 or Autoglym bug & tar remover
  6. eagle_s3

eagle_s3 Member

[Jan 13, 2009]
    Another way you might want to try is to use hot water, I did this on mine.

After washing the car I poured one or two kettles worth of hot water over the badges at the back, then using just my nails got in behind the badge and started to peal it back, the edges come away easy enough. You'll get so far and then need some more hot water. then just repeat the process using more hot water when you feel that the sticker is still holding firm. It sorts out the glue and the badges come away without leveling a - any scratches and b - not very much of the sticker is left behind. for the stuff that is left Autoglym tar and bug remover is the ticket. Dab a good amount on, let it work for a bit then start to rub it off.

I felt this was a better option and the dental floss and i'd used it perviously on my Golf Gti.

Best advice for either method that you end up using is take your time.
  7. tja

tja Member

[Jan 13, 2009]
    Found that hot air gun and credit card works to remove badge, and neat petrol on a cloth will remove residue.
  8. graham A4

graham A4 A4

[Jan 28, 2009]
    jusdt use a a plastic card something more sturdyer than a cr card and take your time, the badges will come off with ease ive seen it done many times, they are only adhesive so it will not affect ur paintwork although there will be a colour mismatch
  9. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!

[Jan 29, 2009]
    I would say use a hot air gun or WD40 to remove the sticky.
    To remove the badge, use fishing line in a sawing motion, don't use any tools/cards etc as a slip can cause a scratch, I did mine with fingers only.
  10. audi80sport

audi80sport is it home time yet?

[Apr 21, 2009]