DIY-Clutch Renewal-Manual transmission

Gordon

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted a DIY clutch renewal?
If so is it reasonably straight forward removing the gearbox and replacing the clutch with the engine still in the car?
Elsawin implies the job is done with the engine removed but Haynes indicates it is possible.

Also what mileage can you expect to get from a VAG clutch? My car has done 53,000 miles and I am wondering if this is a job which may be necessary soon.

Does anyone know the approximate separate weights for engine and gearbox or where to find the information?

I've done a few clutches and one on an A3, although it was a 1.8T not a 1.6 like yours.

The engine does not need to be removed. You are lucky as your gearbox is lighter than other models. Yours should be a rod change 02KM which is a later version of the VW 020 box.
This type can easily be removed by one person, but I would use a jack to support the weight as you pull it off the engine.

Sometimes it helps to undo the pendulum support and push the engine forward a bit and also rotate the box slightly to clear the diff, but its very do-able.

I won't go into more detail as I don't think you need to worry about changing the clutch on your car just yet with that mileage. Clutches can last 150000 miles easy. Obviously some fail early due to driver abuse or a faulty part, but you always get that sort of thing from time to time.

Anyways, if your clutch is working okay, just forget about it.

Clutch life depends a lot on driving style and traffic situations. My TDi is approaching 70k miles and the clutch is fine, but poorly driven in town a lot, it's possible to wreck one in 30k miles.