Discs and pads change?

S3-Oski

Reaction score
Hi, I should be ordering new aftermarket discs and pads + braided line for my S3 this week, i will be getting them fitted within the next few weeks,

How easy a job is it to do?

its just i have two options i have a friend a mechanic who could do it for me for a few beers, but it will have to be in my drive as he obviously can not use his company facilities, so will just have the basic tools, but i have read it that you need vagcom?? which he has not,i have read problems with bleeding the system,

Or take it a a mechanic which i do always as i know they have the correct equipment, but would it be a easy to do at home? or do i need any special equipment, see i would rather pay if so ,for the peace of mind, cheers Oski

Done mine last weekend discs & pads all round easy to do as long as you have a good wind back tool for the piston etc

think you only need vag-com if you run the abs pump dry?
I may be wrong!!!!!!!!

I have done all mine recently, its an easy enough job. No VAGCOM needed for a straightforward front discs/pads/hoses change.

7mm allen key to remove the caliper off the carrier and a G-Clamp to push the piston in with. Most difficult bit is getting the damn spring clips back on afterwards!!!

With the pipes, undo the oem pipe at the caliper first (clamp the pipe off if poss or have someone put a thumb over the end to prevent losing too much fluid) fix the braided pipe to the caliper then undo the other end and fix that. Minimal bleeding require if you do it right and you should be able to get away with std 2 man pump and release type method.

Just watch you don't work the pedal too or hard far as it is known that the master cylinder seals can turn on themselves and also there is something in the MC that can knick the edge of a seal.

<tuffty/>

changed mine for some new OEMS this weekend, noticed that the pads have stickies on the back.....do the aftermarkets have these? id guess its some sort of preventative measure to stop the pads sticking

Think its more to prevent squealing mate... bit like putting copper grease on....

<tuffty/>

why not put the grease on instead? i put loads on the aprts that you would normally apply it too regardless..... managed to get some OEMS for £140, whats the general concensus on price?

I got Pagid pads for the rear, the discs were GSF budgets and got the whole lot for £60. I wouldn't buy budget discs for the front but for the rear its fine in my book.

The Pagid pads came with the 3M stickie pad stuff on them too. I copper greased mine as I do all my pads but I guess its for ease of application, a solution to a known issue that doesn't have to involve other methods to resolve.

<tuffty/>

aye i agree on the fronts.... may have mentioned above, on my 1.8T i had 2-3 lots of none OEM discs and then went OEM and noticed a great difference in longevity and effectiveness

Thanks Tuffty and Abdus!! very helpful, yet again:beerchug:

just done rears but used brembo not GSF cheapies with padgid pds about £100 all in think the discs were £32 each. Did the fronts a couple of years ago with Brembo also they cost about £120 ish. I think the sticky pad is strange but used itand havn`t had any probs just applied copper grease to sliding contact part.