Discounts?

twig

Reaction score
How are we going on with bargaining?
I managed a £2,000 discount two weeks ago with a main dealer. Who has done better....except with on line sites, but does it matter?

Mine is 2.0 tdi 184 ps, Daytona Grey, manual, comfort package with cruise and rear parking, NO SPORTS SUSPENSION, basic sat nav, folding door mirrors and LED Headlights and interior.

I managed a £2,000 discount two weeks ago with a main dealer. Who has done better....except with on line sites, but does it matter?

Mine is 2.0 tdi 184 ps, Daytona Grey, manual, comfort package with cruise and rear parking, NO SPORTS SUSPENSION, basic sat nav, folding door mirrors and LED Headlights and interior.

Yes, about right. I managed a bit more, but it had a lot of extras, such as B&O and tech pack

£2,400 discount direct through dealer, (no trade-in).

However, I have used brokers previously, (Drive the Deal being especially good) and would suggest maybe going through one to get the deal if your local dealerships playing hardball.

£2300 off approximately. This was after ringing round various dealers. Some refused to deal, some didn't This matched a brokers deal bar £40.

For me similar sort of numbers to the above. I have also used Drive the Deal in the past, and would happily recommend them.

Hi, I'm looking at many extras....any advice in getting the best discount?

One obvious thing is no trade in. Sell your old car yourself.
In my opinion don't be tempted by car body protection and replacement full cost insurance. Just go for it and don't be put off by a worried looking Managers face! 6/7% perhaps?

I almost wish I had traded my old car in now... selling it is proving to be a complete PITA. Getting mucked around by so many people.

Hi, I'm looking at many extras....any advice in getting the best discount?

Do your homework. What is the What Car target price? What is the best price from a broker? If you are part-exing, what's a realistic value? At the dealer, be polite but firm, make it clear you are a serious buyer able to put a deposit down that day, but only if the deal is right. Don't be afraid to walk out and play dealers off against each other. In my view, don't be afraid to use a broker, but be sure it's a reputable one. In particular, brokers shouldn't ask for any money directly, all payments should be to the supplying dealer.

I almost wish I had traded my old car in now... selling it is proving to be a complete PITA. Getting mucked around by so many people.

Yes I know what you mean but probably depends on the price bracket your in.
I sold an old Seat Ibiza recently and the number of time wasters was 'impressive' but it went within two weeks.

Hi, I was told that there are no discounts for the new saloon. However my feeling is that if you use the words, 'dealer contribution' towards the salesperson he/she might come around to that.

One obvious thing is no trade in. Sell your old car yourself.
In my opinion don't be tempted by car body protection and replacement full cost insurance. Just go for it and don't be put off by a worried looking Managers face! 6/7% perhaps?

It's difficult to sell my car first as this can be a pain having no car to get about and people messing you about! Anymore tips??

I tried to sell my old car (09 plate Golf Mk 6 GT TSI, low mileage, good condition) privately, and really struggled. Put it on Auto Trader for weeks and had very few serious enquiries. I did get a huge number of fraudulent emails though. Eventually had to use wewantanycar.com as the delivery of my new one was looming. I think a large part of my problem was that it was a three door car, and it seems the market for three door Golfs is pretty flat.

If your old car is reasonably new and in good condition I think it's worth ringing round a few dealers; I had a couple of reasonable offers doing this.

hi,got no discount at main dealer,said as its a new model,there was no leeway,got 2k discount through orange wheels,,we buy any car.com,offered me more for p/x thann dealer did.oh yeah,if I wanted finance then yes a discount could be arranged.(at 65 I don't think so)

hi,got no discount at main dealer,said as its a new model,there was no leeway,got 2k discount through orange wheels,,we buy any car.com,offered me more for p/x thann dealer did.oh yeah,if I wanted finance then yes a discount could be arranged.(at 65 I don't think so)

I paid cash and still got £2k discount.

I paid cash and still got £2k discount.

Did you shop about to get the best discount? I feel bad sitting there getting a good deal from a salesman then saying I'm leaving to go elsewhere to see what the next dealership will offer me?

Did you shop about to get the best discount? I feel bad sitting there getting a good deal from a salesman then saying I'm leaving to go elsewhere to see what the next dealership will offer me?

I did get a feel for what discounts were being given, but the best thing I did was hang around the dealership for a while and wait till I'd identified the the most personable, knowledgeable salesman in the room (we all know many car salesmen are utterly useless wastes of space) and went straight to him for assistance. He has been brilliant and we had such a good rapport that I knew I'd get the £2k discount I was after without having to shop around any further.

I got £1775 off and the dealer offered me about £300 more than WeBuyAnyCar, so Id say around £2k is the norm atm.

I beat the best offer that the dealer gave me for my trade in by £900 through a private sale. I agree that it can be a pain, but it is worth it. Most of the time, they just put it onto auction anyway so I'm happy. Meant that what my original order was (before the engine change) is roughly what I'm paying for the car now as this extra makes up the difference

I've just managed a £2000 discount on a stock car if I take in Sept or £2300 if I take in Sept and don't part exchange my current car. Now just in the process of finding either another dealer or a car buying website to work out the best route. The clock is ticking though :)

I was offered ~3k discount off from drive the deal. Asked a local dealer if they could match it and they said they could only drop around £200, and proceeded to tell me all the "benefits" of buying directly with them and not through a broker

I never heard back from them when i asked for an quote to be sent by email. needless to say DTD got my business *shrug*

I was offered ~3k discount off from drive the deal. Asked a local dealer if they could match it and they said they could only drop around £200, and proceeded to tell me all the "benefits" of buying directly with them and not through a broker

I never heard back from them when i asked for an quote to be sent by email. needless to say DTD got my business *shrug*

Surprised some dealers are considerably more generous than others. I'd expected them all to be equally tight-fisted.
Is there in fact a downside to going through a broker?

Surprised some dealers are considerably more generous than others. I'd expected them all to be equally tight-fisted.
Is there in fact a downside to going through a broker?

There are pros and cons - although the greatest benefit is simply that you get the vehicle you want at a better discount than you might otherwise have been able to negotiate face-to-face at the dealer. (plus you avoid the pressurized sales situation of simply turning up at a dealer).

Carfile and Drive the Deal are both quite good in my experience and don't charge the purchaser any sort of fees, (I believe the dealer pays the broker a commission directly). With both these companies, beyond the original introduction to the supplying dealer, there is then no further correspondence going forward, (as the relationship is then between the purchaser and supplying dealership). All deposits / payments are made directly to the dealer.

The one downside to using a broker tends to be that there is a possibility they may put you in touch with dealers some distance from you home, (although, normally driven delivery is free-of-charge to most UK addresses). However, I would prefer to travel up to the supplying dealer and inspect the vehicle and pick it up in person.

Con's
as M_D_O_London mentioned - dealer could be other side of england - but delivery is free

Con's that stealer mentioned:
1. you can't test drive it - i already test drove it
2. No advice given - researched everything myself, and actually knew more about the car than the stealer himself - including him telling me that MR wasn't available on the S3 and that it's called drive select (he actually tried to demonstrate "drive select" whilst going over speed bumps showing how the dampers changed :think:)
3. If i have any problems and the dealership is far away, then it's a long journey to get it sorted - which i then reminded him that i can go to any dealer for warrantee issues

Pro's
1. A decent discount
2. Also OTR price tends to be included from what i see, so technically that's even more discount.
3. you deal with an audi dealer that gets in touch - all funds go directly to them NOT DTD

Can't think of anything else at the moment - but still, i'm happy :)

have used carfile twice previously and very good experiences assume DTD will be much the same, yes you could end up having a long trek but i think they mainly cover midland/est midlands. They tend to put you through to the fleet section so it might be you could end up getting a longer wait for the car but thats based on my previous experience, the dealer will advise on this. Expect a 8% minimum plus more if taking finance or lots of options, make sure get as much agreed up front in advance as possible, full tank etc etc..

None at all? What car and spec u got?

S3 Sportback.
Doesn't bother me, buying on pcp and the monthly is where I need it to be.
It can be difficult to get discount on newly released cars in Aberdeen.

Had I wanted a new A7 Black Edition Quattro though they would have given me £15k off list, and £18k off list on a new A8 Sports Executive.
Pity neither interested me, ****** huge amount of car for the money!!!!!

I have a £3k discount on a fully loaded 184. I took the broker quote to my 2 nearest dealers and both were prepared to match the quote. I ordered it from the nearest. My last 3 cars were broker supplied. 2 from Carfile and the current one from DTD. I live in the South Midlands and my current one was supplied by Dundee Audi. It was delivered on a car transporter with 7 others going out to other buyers in the south of the country. All 3 purchases from brokers went without a hitch and I would be very happy to order from either of these brokers again. However, there is an obvious advantage in buying locally.

anyone looking for an S3, contact Tristan Bailey at Kings Lynn Audi as double digit % discounts are achieveable :) Ive just ordered a new RS4 and they beat everyone else i usually deal with.

Tell him Andrew from DTUK sent you, and im sure he'll look after you.

Hi, I have dealt with buyacar in the past and found them to be very good. You deal with them direct and they deliver to your door, and the drivers are good and steady. Seeing as my local dealership is saying that there is no discount for a saloon I think this quote isn't bad:

NEW CAR - BUILT TO ORDERPRICEWHY BUY A CAR FROM BUYACAR?
  • UK Dealer supplied
  • Full Warranty
  • 1st yr Tax included
  • FREE delivery
Audi A3 2.0 TDI S Line 4dr diesel saloon£24,525.00
OPTIONS:
18" 5 parallel spoke design part polished alloy wheels£0.00
Interior light pack - A3 Saloon£155.00
Metallic - Lotus grey£478.00
Advanced key£387.00
Electric adjustable/heated/folding door mirrors£137.00
Cruise control£0.00
Technology pack - A3 Saloon£1,361.00
Parking system plus - front + rear£0.00
Privacy glass£264.00
Comfort pack - A3 with parking system plus£779.00
Xenon plus headlights£0.00
Light and rain sensor pack with auto dimming rear view mirror - A3£0.00
Non smoking pack - A3£0.00
Delete sports suspension£0.00
8 speakers£0.00
Light and rain sensor pack - A3 Saloon£0.00
OPTIONS TOTALS£3,561.00
OTHER OPTIONS:YOU SAVE
12 months vehicle excise duty (vehicle tax) at current rateIncluded
Delivery: Driven delivery within England and Wales£0.00
TOTAL BUYACAR ON THE ROAD PRICE£28,086.00
YOU SAVE£1,900.00

anyone looking for an S3, contact Tristan Bailey at Kings Lynn Audi as double digit % discounts are achieveable :) Ive just ordered a new RS4 and they beat everyone else i usually deal with.

Tell him Andrew from DTUK sent you, and im sure he'll look after you.

are you sure on S3? Best seems to be 8.5% elsewhere on a S3.

So which dealer has DTD connected you with matey ? did you save £3000 ?? which model did you buy ??

So which dealer has DTD connected you with matey ? did you save £3000 ?? which model did you buy ??

I went with s3, came to around 36k after discount

Got hooked up with Brighton audi, which is great, i'll pick it up in person! They said end of feb delivery which suits me, however I might ask them to not register till march if possible so I get the 14 plate!

Price was exactly what DTD quoted, so yea (well a little over 3k) :)! Now just waiting for the finance guy to call me with next quarters rates grrrr.

Does anyone know which dealer DtD are using at present?
We got an A6 Allroad in April and that was from Crawley Audi, but I think DtD were on the brink of changing dealers.

From what I understand, they use a pool of dealers around the UK, not just a single one.

If you speak to them and request a dealer as near as possible to where you live, they may be able to accommodate to a degree - depending on which dealers they have a relationship with.

When I used them (admittedly many years ago, and not to buy an Audi), the supplying dealer couldn't have been much further away from me and still be in the UK. However, the price was good and so was the customer service from DTD and the dealer. I'd happily recommend them.

Reactions: Danners78 and paullowther
DTD ask you not to disclose the dealer / dealers that they use. I guess this is to protect the dealer from abuse from other Audi dealers and so you don't just go direct.

I know the dealer nearest to me that they use is part of a group of 3 audi dealers and the another dealer in that group said they know the other dealer is selling stuff via DTD, but they still couldn't offer a discount off a S3, in fact the sales guy was a pee'd off that his sales manager wouldn't allow the price match with the DTD.

No issues with DtD, used them twice now and still can't believe how easy they are to use. Just that being north of Watford Gap, I was interested to know how far I have to travel if I decide to press the Go button for a new A3 SB.

Also, has anyone used Coast2Coast yet? They seem to offer a slightly higher discount than DtD?