1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disabling self test for reverse light

s3_trev Mar 26, 2014

1. s3_trev

s3_trev Northern Ireland Gold Supporter Team Brill Red Audi S3

Hi all, anyone know how to do this with VCDS? I have tried the most obvious option, of disabling cold diagnosis for the backup light but this unfortunately didnt work.

I have put this bulb in my reverse light tonight - 1x P21W 50W CREE LED 1156 382 BA15s REVERSE BULBS AUDI DRL DAYTIME DRL BMW | eBay

and it is a fantastic upgrade, except when I turn the ignition on it pulses 5 times, which I'm not gonna be able to live with. God knows it could happen when i'm driving as well.

So my thoughts are to turn off the self test to disable this. Any one able to help?

Thanks.

2. sliced

sliced Drive safe, stay alive.

You''ll need canbus friendly ones mate! return them if possible and get a set of canbus ones

s3_trev likes this.
  3. JJ.Foulds

JJ.Foulds Well-Known Member

HA weird you say this, because i tapped into the footwell lights to install led strips, and everytime i start the ignition these also pulse 4-5 times.
    But they look like a rave a night so i can live with it tbh aha.

s3_trev likes this.
  4. Sidhu88

Sidhu88 Active Member

It only happens on start up so i wouldnt worry too much

s3_trev likes this.
  5. ROB A3 Quattro

ROB A3 Quattro no smoke without poke

s3_trev likes this.
  6. s3_trev

Thanks guys.

7. s3_trev

Guys just wanted to update you all and tell you I have cured the blinking. First thing I done was try a new bulb. This didnt cure the blinking. So I decided to give VCDS another go, and turns out if you disable cold diagnosis for rear fog light, as well as reversing light, it cures the problem!! Hopefully this helps someone.

Tonka Toy likes this.
  8. ROB A3 Quattro

ROB A3 Quattro no smoke without poke

Glad you got sorted hmmm wonder if you can do this for the rear lights I just installed led rear lights and getting bulb out canbus warning did you have the canbus warning as well.

9. s3_trev

Na mate I never got the canbus warning at any stage. I think its a seperate thing. But im almost certain you could cure any blinking using VCDS and just disabling the cold diagnosis on all of the bulbs. This may cure the canbus too but not sure.

10. hollows wife

hollows wife Well-Known Member

doesnt seem to work on newer 2012 controllers as cold diagnosis is disabled but still get bulb out error . was fine in 2009 model where cold diagnosis could be turned off for individual lights