DIS support

I

imported_glen_jai

Does anyone out there know of a dvd headunit out there that retains the DIS functionality?

No there aren't any HU's that do, you'll have to look slightly to the left to pick up that info from the HU itself.

i m sure kenwood used to do leads which allowed this but it was for vauxhalls

This is something I looked into, I even contacted someone in Audi technical they said it was possible but would not elaborate further.
I spent a long time searching the net and never found one.
What I did find was a news article about a headunit manufacturer stopping the development of the bus adapter needed to do this because of safety fears (potential air airbag problem).
The bus system controls a lot of important things and a potential law suit was enough to stop the project.
Although there are bus emulators and this was not an Audi I would not hold your breath.
I have a Kenwood and it has an output lead for Vauxhall/GM but the adapter to connect is not available yet.

Oh and if I look slightly to the left my wife starts to talk to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The only things that sit on the bus that talks to the DIS are the radio/TV tuner/Amplifier and telephone module.

There are other bus' in the car used for fearbox, engine, runnin ggear etc, but they connect to other areas of the DIS so shouldn't affect the operation of the car.

The bus used is called the infotainment canbus and is specifically designed for the car ICE installation.

There are modules around which allow you to inject info onto the canbus from your car such as boost, battery etc so I doubt if it would be a problem for a manufacturer to design a canbus interface to the DIS from there radios.

I just don't think that there is a big enough market for it.

[ QUOTE ]

Oh and if I look slightly to the left my wife starts to talk to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

(Sorry for the post-whoring, but that tickled me!)

[ QUOTE ]

There are modules around which allow you to inject info onto the canbus from your car such as boost, battery etc so I doubt if it would be a problem for a manufacturer to design a canbus interface to the DIS from there radios.

I just don't think that there is a big enough market for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes your right Audi said it was possible and simple.

My point was, at least one headunit manufacturer has tried to create a system which using their own proprietary output could then connect to various makes of cars by using a different plug-in converter and harness. The first converter was finished and ready to roll but the in-house lawyers got cold feet and stopped it.

As I said it was for a different car manufacturer and their bus system may be different to Audi but this stopped the project and further development into other makes and I doubt it will be resurrected.

As you said market forces stop the headunit from being compatible but a converter and harness similar to CD converter (Audi to Panasonic etc.) or steering wheel remote was on the cards.

[ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
(Sorry for the post-whoring, but that tickled me!)

[/ QUOTE ]
I am glad you like my humour

Yep as soon as you get lawyers involved all creativity has to end.
I thought the airbag problem was only an issue if you inadvertently tuned the radio to Chris Moyles!