1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dis says 10 miles but ran out of diesel!!

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by Andrewkings, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Andrewkings

Andrewkings New Member

Hi guys, recently bought an a4 07 plate, 2.0l tdi avant(170), but the dis is not correctly displaying amount of miles left in tank.. Once my misses ran out as she pulled up to the forecourt petrol station and again ran out in the middle of a main road tonight.. Both times the dis said it had plenty of miles left... Any help or xplanation would be great.
    cheers
  2. Rheady

Rheady Member

I never let it run down that far to be honest. The miles to empty calculates on the speed you are going too, to average the miles per gallon. I'd tell your misses to keep the level out of the red to avoid it happening in the future.
  3. nwhiteley

nwhiteley Member

The Dis just isnt very accurate and shouldnt be relied upon. I never go below 50 miles to empty and havnt had a problem yet.
  4. Khanage

Khanage Member

I've had it run out whilst saying 35 before. Never let it hit the red since.
  5. Andrewkings

Andrewkings New Member

Thanks for the replies.. Just last a4 I had used to go right down to 0 and then do another 5-10 miles ..
    oh well just have to keep it out of the red
  6. razza1

razza1 Well-Known Member

I was told mine has a 50 mile reserve tank...had 0 on dis a few times and been OK.. .
  7. bigrich690

bigrich690 Member

You should never run a diesel to an empty tank, rule of thumb mate, Petrols ok but diesels no!!!!!! You naff your engine mate
  8. Richardesty

Richardesty loves quattro

Same here to be fair..... might not be doing that from now on though :racer:
  9. Khanage

Khanage Member

Guess it varies from car to car. I had a Focus for a while which I did at least another 30 miles on after it had said 0. That was petrol though, with the Audi, I took the fuel filter apart at the side of the road and emptied the gunk out of it before putting any more diesel in.
  10. jb0o

jb0o North East Forum Moderator Site Sponsor

Definitely varies from engine to engine also.

I would sometimes run my 1.6FSI 20 or so miles after the 0miles and still get 52L of fuel in, leaving 3L still remaining in the fuel tank.

My 2.0TFSI is somewhat different... running 10miles past 0miles left 1.5L left in the tank, certainly a close call.
  11. marky67

marky67 Member

How did you manage to take the diesel fuel filter apart? I didn't think you could

Did you have a big tin opener!

('cause the 2.0 TDI filter is sealed with only 3 fittings on top)