1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIS Error messages, but no faults found!!

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by pilcob, May 11, 2011.

1. pilcob

pilcob Member

As per title, the DIS on my 2003 S4 has started showing intermittent error messages, but the shown fault in fact is not at fault, if you know what I mean.

First fault, bulb failure to number plate light, checked and found to be ok.
    Second fault, bulb failure to rear center brake light, checked and found to be ok.
    New fault today, brake failure!!, again checked and found to be ok.

Turning the ignition off and then on again to run self diagnostics seem to clear the alledged fault and all appears to be good again, only for the fault to reappear a few days later.

Any one experienced this situation before?, any thoughts or ideas on the possible cause and solution to this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. V8Guzzler

V8Guzzler Active Member

Hi mate - I have the same (great) car - I had a DIS error for the front side light - checked and was ok - I put this down to a bad connection, as when I wiggled the bulb it worked again (after I had bought a new set)...

Brake failure - sounds serious!! Maybe a VAG scan would help??
    :s4addict:

4. pj123

pj123 Member

Is it only when you first turn the ignition on and the car is cold? Could be your battery on the way out? Check the voltage before you start the car from cold, 12.2v or less normally means battery is dying. New bat is about 12.6v. Mine did the brake warning light from cold but not the bulb warnings...

5. benjie

benjie Well-Known Member

Brake warning on start-up is symptomatic of a low voltage spike on ignition. Though checking the brakes would be good practise.

6. snowball1969

snowball1969 Member

possible that your brake lights are not working, common fault brake light switch worth checking as when mine went my DIS went mental

7. pilcob

pilcob Member

Yes, faults only ever shown after first startup in morning, will check battery voltage tomorrow.

8. pilcob

pilcob Member

Had the front side light error about 5 weeks ago, in this case the bulb had actually failed and the DIS showed fault every time I turned ignition on, not returned since changing the bulb.
    I know there is no problems with the brakes as I serviced them last week whilst fitting spacers, will carry out vag scan and report back if anything is found.

9. pilcob

pilcob Member

Would this translate into the battery dying?
    Brakes all checked/ serviced last week, so I know the DIS error is spurious.

10. pilcob

pilcob Member

All DIS error messages checked and found to be incorrect, brake lights working fine so I assume the switch must be ok.

11. pilcob

pilcob Member

From the responses it would seem to be the battery that is at fault, I shall carry out a Vag scan and check the battery voltage tomorrow.
    May or may not be related but have noticed, not quite a misfire but more like a weak spark type symptom on start up from cold, car has been into Audi for coil pack recall two weeks ago.