DIS and HID Questions. Help Please. :)

PhilW

Reaction score
I dont have DIS on my car at the moment but have ordered it, currently i dont have any issues with HID's as far as lights/warnings on the dash.

Do these problems only happen with when DIS with HID's or can it happen to people with HID's and no DIS?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

Phil.

Doesn't make any difference whether you have DIS or not in terms of errors.....

Doesn't make any difference whether you have DIS or not in terms of errors.....

yes it does

if you dont have full DIS you dont have bulb out warnings so no bother with HID which i think is what the OP is wanting to know

brake errors are a different story though

I think the original post was asking about dash warnings (such as master brake/ABS) rather than DIS advisory ones (such as washer fluid/bulbs)......

DIS and cruise all fitted. Was much easier to do than on my old B5 passat. Just waiting for a new lower trim to fit.

Ferrite beads all fitted, made a difference to the radio reception if anyone has this issue.

I got the ones from Maplin, HEM3017 is the code.

I just need to remember to measure the size of the ballast cables!

I found the 10mm ID ones perfect for my hids.

My ballasts look like this and this is the wire I put them on.

HID-ballast-5011.jpg

I have some like that and have no issues with radio at all

Has anybody had a retro-fitted HID kit MOT tested since September 2011?

I know previously we were in a grey area where on one side, the DfT very specifically said it was illegal to retro-fit or have somebody else retro-fit the headlamps without 1) washers/wipers and 2) self-levelling headlights / suspension.

But on the other side of the debate, no MOT centre had ever failed a car for having HID's in a projector style lense (like the A4 B6), provided the beam pattern was safe and legal...

However, the self-levelling / headlight cleaning kit is now very specifically mentioned in the MOT test guidleines:

Lights: Condition, operation including HID and LED headlamps for cleaning, self leveling and security. Headlamp aim. Main beam
warning light.
from http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/CONT071791.pdf

Some other points you need to consider before you change your halogen to xenon lamps.Iv'e heard the 2012 MOT test will be taking a harder line on aftermarket lighting .

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.

2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).

3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

Might be worth tagging some of this info to the retro-fit sticky, even if jsut as an advisory: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-cabriolet-s4-forum-b6-chassis/102215-hid-kit-diy-guide-b6.html

The actual wording is "if fitted" so it makes it another grey area

It doesn't state in the mot hand book that they must be fitted

Bingo.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MOT%20Inspection%20Manual.pdf

1) aftermarket HIDs will still pass an MOT if they have a good beam pattern. Levelling and washers are NOT required, but if you do have them, they must work (section 1.7, page 1)

Read section 1.7 (page 28) and the use of the word "may"...

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.
Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.
Headlamp washers may work in conjunction with the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam headlamps are switched on) or by a separate switch.

Its not a fail if its not fitted. Like so many other things, spare wheels, rear seats and seatbelts etc...

Reactions: 666markyboy
Has anybody had a retro-fitted HID kit MOT tested since September 2011?

I know previously we were in a grey area where on one side, the DfT very specifically said it was illegal to retro-fit or have somebody else retro-fit the headlamps without 1) washers/wipers and 2) self-levelling headlights / suspension.

But on the other side of the debate, no MOT centre had ever failed a car for having HID's in a projector style lense (like the A4 B6), provided the beam pattern was safe and legal...

However, the self-levelling / headlight cleaning kit is now very specifically mentioned in the MOT test guidleines:

from http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/CONT071791.pdf

Might be worth tagging some of this info to the retro-fit sticky, even if jsut as an advisory: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-cabriolet-s4-forum-b6-chassis/102215-hid-kit-diy-guide-b6.html

Mine passed its MOT on Tuesday with aftermarket HID's no problem.

yes it does

if you dont have full DIS you dont have bulb out warnings so no bother with HID which i think is what the OP is wanting to know

brake errors are a different story though

I don't have full DIS but i get bulb out errors ?? and i have no issues with HIDS fitted either or LEDs fitted front and rear.... i think it's more to do with the year of car... mines an early B6 and thats why i'm error free i think newer ones have a more complex CANBAN and the latest Audis are just plain mad where they can turn off complete circuits should it detect a fault

Bringing this back for another hod question.

Im having issues with the driver side shutting down whilst driving, turn them off and on again and it works for a limited amount of time. Tried three different bulbs and two different ballasts, all the same. Also turns on slower than the passenger side as well. Earth maybe or just cheap non can bus hids?