Dip beam lights intermittently REALLY dim - I think :-/

VAG-Slag

Reaction score
Berkshire, Surry, Hampshire tri-intersect
My dip beam lights are pretty terrible at the best of times, however sometime they are REAAAALLLY bad with absolutely no structure or definition to the beam what so ever.

The obvious solution would be to change the bulbs I suppose, but A) I'm tight, and B) I've got a feeling it's not the bulbs as the full beams are actually really good and the intermittent thing gets me pondering

I do have to admit, I question if the intermittent thing is just in my imagination. But driving home today I was pretty confident they were at they're dimmest...

Any incites into this chaps?

Dirty lenses?

On my old A4 in winter i've seen my headlamps get so dirty i could barely see anything.

Reactions: PAULF
dont have fogs so cant really compare those.

The main beam keeps the dip on as well, so you've got twice as much light, follows that it will be brighter?

I guess you need to see if they are actually dimmer or not then check voltages or something

It's just your lights! The B5 projectors are truly shocking!

I agree with aragorn, at this time of year the roads are wet and dirty. I had to stop coming home last night with the Fabia, as I was like driving with a couple of flickering tea lights! Cleaned off the grime and set off again.

You could try Bosch +90 or Philips Xtreme bulbs. Both improve definition on road lines and signs, but don't expect the road to light up like a runway.

I change my dip beam headlights for aftermarket xenon headlamps 6000k ice white, and the beam projection and illumination is such a vast improvement, I then changed my main beam bulbs to osram nightbreaker plus, I also have the same in the front foglights, I tried the the nightbreakers in the dipped beams before I bought xenons and they were a little brighter but no where near as good as the xenons .