Dim LED tail light help

flippantaudi

Reaction score
Hi folks, another issue I would like some help with if anyone can. I noticed that my drivers side rear outer LED tail lights have gone really dim. I've got an 09 facelift Avant. I've scouted around a bit on the web and found a thread on another forum but didn't really have a solution. I read that it may be the ground wire or the contacts that may have become corroded? I have no idea how to get at these contacts and where they are? Assuming they are behind the light itself rather than within the luggage compartment - does anyone have any idea how to remove the rear light? Or perhaps a guide? There's definitely no water ingress that I can see btw. Any help or advice is as always gratefully received.

To get to connection/bulb holder you'd have to remove outer taillight unit. There is a plastic nut which requires removing for outer taillight unit to be popped out of body.

I also used blutack on the socket as that nut can fall and be lost in body, the nut is in a recess where you'd expect to see the back of lamp unit on the inside of the car.

You access the nut by removing the trim which has jack, etc behind it in boot area, I did have some photos for another thread/when I did it but can't find them. My memory is bit hazy and you may have to remove the plastic holder for the jack to make access easier to nut.

Once that nut is removed you can sorta ease taillight unit out of body cavity, when I removed them for the first time I used a little plastic wedge between lamp and body on outside, I wrapped it in duct tape so wouldn't damage paint.