Dilemma - S5?

Great review, nice write up!

and I also feel the S3 is a bit bouncy and floaty on B-roads.

Shhhhhh. You'll be told that this issue doesn't exist :p

Reactions: Psyman79
It's a stunning car and I would have it in that configuration if I were looking for a big GT. My neighbour son in fact went from a S5 to an S3, if I see him I will ask his opinion.

So yesterday, I picked this up for a few days, luckily my local dealer has an S5 demo .. it's not a Black Edition but obviously similar to one I would be looking to buy .. dropped off my S3 Sportback and into the S5 :)

Looks nice in Sepang, but if I ordered I think I'll be going down the white/grey/Daytona route ..

So first impressions, bearing in mind, we had weather Noah would have been familiar with in Scotland yesterday.

Exterior:
It's big - I parked the S3 next to it and it's a big car. It's pretty much the same length as my wife's Q5. It does look nice in Sepang, but I'm not convinced by the 19's alloys. Confirmed my choice of rotors (since you can't get V-spokes) if I was to order one. I'd not be going Sepang again, too common for S cars now ;) and although a beautiful colour, it's sometimes a bit brash for me, especially on a bigger car with 2 doors. It needs broken up a bit I think. I'd like this one to be a bit more discreet.

Interior:
Probably my biggest concern as I think the S3's minimalist approach is lovely. I didn't particularly like my wife's A4 Avant (2012) either, however it's actually nice. It's not as busy as I had expected. It's definitely bigger and feels more solid (impression I think, not actually). It feels a class above, less airy, more cocoon like. Electric sports seats are comfy and feel better quality than the S3 leather :D I was worried I'd feel I'd gone back to an old design. I understand, in terms of tech, it's probably a long way behind what you can have in an S3, but I didn't spec and form of tech pack or nav in my S3, so that probably tells you something. The B&O system sounds fine, more expansive than the *** in my S3. Both systems though are well above what I need in a car. In fact I drove around all day yesterday with the radio/tunes off :music:

Drive:
So start the car, ooh nice growl. Deeper note than the S3. I check the dash for drive select, errrm no :unhappy: so this car does not have adaptive dampers, throttle or the rear sports differential. Disappointing as I wanted to try an S3 in comfort and dynamic. I feel there's not a huge difference in the S3 between all the modes. Noticeable yes, wildly different, no :ermm:

Right off we go. Just potter around waiting for the car to warm up. It feels more solid, heavier on the road and actually quieter. Less road noise in the cabin. Deeper exhaust note but in D, and with small throttle openings and it's very very relaxed, quiet and smooth.

I'm thinking of changing as I would like a more cultured exhaust note in my car, and I also feel the S3 is a bit bouncy and floaty on B-roads. Sure I could add a Milltek, remap and get some coilovers, but that would likely cost me the thick end of 3K, which is what it would take (approx.) to get me into a new S5 (ok £50 a month increase in finance). Bye bye warranty too :unhappy:

Ok car now warm, on some B-roads, stick across to manual and give it some beans. Better throttle response than the S3. Seems to take off quicker, no waiting for the turbo to spool up (I guess the big advantage of a supercharger). It feels a bit strangled @5.5K and tails off a bit. It would NOT leave the S3 in a straight line :thumbs up: which I guess is to be expected, more BHP/torque but also heavier. I think the S3 may be a bit quicker.

Noise, oh the noise :kissmyrings: .. wonderful, you will never get a 4 pot to sound like this. A little reminiscent of my boxster, a bit of 6 cylinder howl. Sold!

The roads were treacherous, but it handled full throttle with ease, much more tied down the S3. Quicker out of corners with better throttle response. Without looking at the rev counter you change up around 5K as that's when it feels a bit breathless. It doesn't clatter into the limiter like the S3. Is it a better engine than the S3? In some ways yes and in some ways no. The two things it's better at, is a sharper response and a vastly better noise. The S3 is as quick and revs a bit freer.

I think both cars would be equally as quick across the ground but you'd be clenching your *** cheeks more in the S3 o_O.

Onto the dual carriageway on the way home, and this is where you can tell it's a more expensive car. You also get a nice noise as you accelerate up to 70, and with 7 gears it's more relaxed. Fuel economy was identical to what I would get from the S3.

So no surprises really, ones a 35K hot hatch, the other is more a 50K GT car.

So have I made my decision, pretty much yes. I am a sucker for a new car, and with the large discount, dealer contribution and low APR% I could have one on my driveway in September for 2K cash and £50 more a month. That gets me into a near 50K car.

I understand it's near it's end of life, the new S5 is rumoured to be a 3.0 turbo with a 9 speed S-tronic, it will be awesome. A few issues with that. To get me into one, will cost me a huge amount more than the current car. There will be no Audi or dealer contribution and the APR% will be much higher. If I wanted to drop 10K on a car and pay £500 a month I won't be looking at an S5. Second issue, 9 speeds, or 8 or whatever. I'm relatively old school (43), I like manual boxes and although the S-tronic isn't perfect when I'm in manual mode (most of the time) and on a B-road, I like to think I have a reasonable idea whether the corner ahead is a 2nd gear/3rd gear based on driving a 6 speed manual with normal gear ratios. With 8 or 9 ratios, to be fair, I won't have a ****** clue, so the best way to drive quick is leave it in Auto S mode. That's just too dull for me, may as well have a ****** multitronic box and go everywhere with the revs at 3,000K.

So apologies, a very long post and in no way am I dissing the S3. It's very capable, quick, classy inside and out. For me, you can't make any 4 pot special (boxer engine maybe) and it's this, and the slightly disconcerting feeling at speed on B-roads where the S3 lacks the final 10% to make it a great car.

I'm still making my mind up, will I be disappointed if I have to keep the S3 for another year, no, not at all :kiss:However, watch this space, there may be an S5 with active dampers and sports diff on the way :jump:

Ive had the mk1 RS3 for 7 months and now I've got an S5 with adaptive suspension rear sports diff dynamic steering and virtually every other option it's a fast car and you don't realise your doing the speed because of the refinement,

That was a superb write up ........ and you did pin point pretty much most of the S5's great attributes.

I came from a 2008 3.2 litre TT, onto a 2011 2.0 litre turbo TTS, to the 2013 S5 and all the strengths you have noted are still there for me over 1.5 years on.
The relentless acceleration and power in S mode makes for phenominal straight line performance - I love joining a motorway from a slip road and gunning it - and as you say you reach "70mph" in no time :)
It does make a great noise too and refined too being a 6 cylinder.
The seats are staggeringly comfortable and very supportive and you made reference to the quality of the leather - I also felt the leather in the S5 was thicker or more premium than my previous Audi's.
The cabin may be getting on in years but it still feels special - totally agree.

It is a GT cruiser rather than a sports car like say a S3 or TT but if you accept that then its a joy to own.
It is still one of the best looking cars Audi have made too - and just love the light designs front and rear.
It comes with loads of standard kit too, especially the black edition.

I was lucky enough to get an estoril blue car, before the colour was canned and your choices of white or daytona are both great colours too.

It sounds like you have made your mind up but reading your post I think you are going in with your eyes open and the S5 would give you a lot of enjoyment :icon thumright:

Reactions: Simon L and DAYTONA 500
Thanks for the kind words re: my review, I'm certainly no Chris Harris ..

I felt in the S5 I was sitting in a 50K car. It all fells well built, high quality, nothing feels cheap or plasticky. It maybe the weight, and the 6 cylinder engine but it feels a premium product. Certainly a class above an S3, and the S3 definitely has a lovely interior you can't really complain about.

I don't understand the comments about the huge leaps and bounds in the MMI. I actually prefer the buttons rather than the metal toggle switches in the S3 for Tel/Nav/Radio/Media, and the system itself appeared very similar in operation and options. I didn't need to familiarize myself with anything and it was all pretty much the same as the S3. I don't have the upgraded screen in my S3 so that's maybe what people are referring to.

I trying to base my decision on my annual driving needs. Unfortunately it's 80% town/20% long run and B-roads. I've done 3.5K miles since I picked up my S3 in July last year. I don't hammer around town, I generally potter, leave the S3 in D with comfort steering. I appreciate the interior of the S3 but I could be in a Golf really, I don't get to 3K or above where the S3 starts to get going and the throttle response can be a bit slow for my liking. I've started driving everywhere in manual as it's so keen to change up. The S5 will be similar, but with a feeling of class, and that lovely deep v6. Even coming up the 40 mph dual carriageway last night I could appreciate the exhaust note without feeling I was thrashing the car.

On longer runs, I'm usually off to Edinburgh or Inverness and the S5 will be the better comfier car, especially just ticking over in 7th gear.

The only time I may miss the S3 is on a balls out blast on a B-road, which happen all too infrequently, and I'll miss the lightness and ability to change direction quickly. The S5 will hardly be a poor substitute. Especially with the sports diff.

In fairness, it's first world problems really, both cars are lovely and more than capable. I can afford another £50 a month, and it's only 2K to get into a brand new car. Almost seems like a no brainer :thumbs up:

I'll likely regret not giving the S3 a chance to get under my skin (whether it would or not is another matter) but at least I'll be able to continue to enjoy it until September :)

Reactions: ThatOneDude, Bristle Hound, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
I had the same thought process with the TTS - it was a very capable car in the handling department but for the amount of time I actually spent on b roads or corners I never really utilised the cars agility that often.
On the flip side, I had to endure the cars rock hard suspension on a day to day basis and it was not the most comfortable or refined car on a long distance or motorway run.
The S5 made sense to me as it was a power increase over the TTS and I get more enjoyment from stright line accelleration than going round corners.
The S5 over takes with consumate ease and having the power available almost straight away with the supercharger is very confidence inspiring.
I must confess I never drive my car in manual - I dabble occasionally - but always revert to D and then S for overtakes,flipping straight back into D.
I find the auto box just does its job so well - and on overtakes I just need to concentrate on steering :)
On long runs or motorways the car is sublime - it eats miles with ease and as you say just ticks over in 7th gear at 70mph and the wind & road noise is very low.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simon L and DAYTONA 500
Damn you both for having good write ups on the S5!!.. I am easily led astray and have been looking at them now.. :keule: I do miss the supercharger I had in the A1.. not in same class but the instant acceleration is a great extra to have, :) My wife will kill me if I were to change car again so soon. lol especially as it is her turn next!! lol

Reactions: ThatOneDude, TheFiftheElement, Snake Pliskin and 2 others
Haha, was just about to make the exact same comment Andy!

Pack it in guys you'll have all us awaiting S3's cancelling our orders ;)

Just out of interest whats the likely price difference new?

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
And the leasing deals seem to be appearing as well!!!
74cbfe547aa1a4962b93e5e5fbc48fbd.jpg

Once you take away the Audi and dealer contribution. You can have a brand new S5 BE on your driveway with drive select, active suspension and a few options for about 39k.

Really low APR too. 3k down @ £480 a month looking at the Audi finance webpage. So pretty much the same as a well spec'd S3!

Reactions: Simon L and Snake Pliskin
Really really want one now!..haha

Last edited:
Reactions: Simon L and Snake Pliskin
So yesterday, I picked this up for a few days, luckily my local dealer has an S5 demo .. it's not a Black Edition but obviously similar to one I would be looking to buy .. dropped off my S3 Sportback and into the S5 :)

Looks nice in Sepang, but if I ordered I think I'll be going down the white/grey/Daytona route ..

So first impressions, bearing in mind, we had weather Noah would have been familiar with in Scotland yesterday.

Exterior:
It's big - I parked the S3 next to it and it's a big car. It's pretty much the same length as my wife's Q5. It does look nice in Sepang, but I'm not convinced by the 19's alloys. Confirmed my choice of rotors (since you can't get V-spokes) if I was to order one. I'd not be going Sepang again, too common for S cars now ;) and although a beautiful colour, it's sometimes a bit brash for me, especially on a bigger car with 2 doors. It needs broken up a bit I think. I'd like this one to be a bit more discreet.

Interior:
Probably my biggest concern as I think the S3's minimalist approach is lovely. I didn't particularly like my wife's A4 Avant (2012) either, however it's actually nice. It's not as busy as I had expected. It's definitely bigger and feels more solid (impression I think, not actually). It feels a class above, less airy, more cocoon like. Electric sports seats are comfy and feel better quality than the S3 leather :D I was worried I'd feel I'd gone back to an old design. I understand, in terms of tech, it's probably a long way behind what you can have in an S3, but I didn't spec and form of tech pack or nav in my S3, so that probably tells you something. The B&O system sounds fine, more expansive than the *** in my S3. Both systems though are well above what I need in a car. In fact I drove around all day yesterday with the radio/tunes off :music:

Drive:
So start the car, ooh nice growl. Deeper note than the S3. I check the dash for drive select, errrm no :unhappy: so this car does not have adaptive dampers, throttle or the rear sports differential. Disappointing as I wanted to try an S3 in comfort and dynamic. I feel there's not a huge difference in the S3 between all the modes. Noticeable yes, wildly different, no :ermm:

Right off we go. Just potter around waiting for the car to warm up. It feels more solid, heavier on the road and actually quieter. Less road noise in the cabin. Deeper exhaust note but in D, and with small throttle openings and it's very very relaxed, quiet and smooth.

I'm thinking of changing as I would like a more cultured exhaust note in my car, and I also feel the S3 is a bit bouncy and floaty on B-roads. Sure I could add a Milltek, remap and get some coilovers, but that would likely cost me the thick end of 3K, which is what it would take (approx.) to get me into a new S5 (ok £50 a month increase in finance). Bye bye warranty too :unhappy:

Ok car now warm, on some B-roads, stick across to manual and give it some beans. Better throttle response than the S3. Seems to take off quicker, no waiting for the turbo to spool up (I guess the big advantage of a supercharger). It feels a bit strangled @5.5K and tails off a bit. It would NOT leave the S3 in a straight line :thumbs up: which I guess is to be expected, more BHP/torque but also heavier. I think the S3 may be a bit quicker.

Noise, oh the noise :kissmyrings: .. wonderful, you will never get a 4 pot to sound like this. A little reminiscent of my boxster, a bit of 6 cylinder howl. Sold!

The roads were treacherous, but it handled full throttle with ease, much more tied down the S3. Quicker out of corners with better throttle response. Without looking at the rev counter you change up around 5K as that's when it feels a bit breathless. It doesn't clatter into the limiter like the S3. Is it a better engine than the S3? In some ways yes and in some ways no. The two things it's better at, is a sharper response and a vastly better noise. The S3 is as quick and revs a bit freer.

I think both cars would be equally as quick across the ground but you'd be clenching your *** cheeks more in the S3 o_O.

Onto the dual carriageway on the way home, and this is where you can tell it's a more expensive car. You also get a nice noise as you accelerate up to 70, and with 7 gears it's more relaxed. Fuel economy was identical to what I would get from the S3.

So no surprises really, ones a 35K hot hatch, the other is more a 50K GT car.

So have I made my decision, pretty much yes. I am a sucker for a new car, and with the large discount, dealer contribution and low APR% I could have one on my driveway in September for 2K cash and £50 more a month. That gets me into a near 50K car.

I understand it's near it's end of life, the new S5 is rumoured to be a 3.0 turbo with a 9 speed S-tronic, it will be awesome. A few issues with that. To get me into one, will cost me a huge amount more than the current car. There will be no Audi or dealer contribution and the APR% will be much higher. If I wanted to drop 10K on a car and pay £500 a month I won't be looking at an S5. Second issue, 9 speeds, or 8 or whatever. I'm relatively old school (43), I like manual boxes and although the S-tronic isn't perfect when I'm in manual mode (most of the time) and on a B-road, I like to think I have a reasonable idea whether the corner ahead is a 2nd gear/3rd gear based on driving a 6 speed manual with normal gear ratios. With 8 or 9 ratios, to be fair, I won't have a ****** clue, so the best way to drive quick is leave it in Auto S mode. That's just too dull for me, may as well have a ****** multitronic box and go everywhere with the revs at 3,000K.

So apologies, a very long post and in no way am I dissing the S3. It's very capable, quick, classy inside and out. For me, you can't make any 4 pot special (boxer engine maybe) and it's this, and the slightly disconcerting feeling at speed on B-roads where the S3 lacks the final 10% to make it a great car.

I'm still making my mind up, will I be disappointed if I have to keep the S3 for another year, no, not at all :kiss:However, watch this space, there may be an S5 with active dampers and sports diff on the way :jump:
Great write up :thumbs up:

Can't beat the noise of 3litre V6 supercharger :jump:
Must admit that & the fact the S4 has 'real' quattro was some of the deciding factors in my change of heart

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, TheFiftheElement and DAYTONA 500
Once you take away the Audi and dealer contribution. You can have a brand new S5 BE on your driveway with drive select, active suspension and a few options for about 39k.

Really low APR too. 3k down @ £480 a month looking at the Audi finance webpage. So pretty much the same as a well spec'd S3!

Sorry over how many years or is this a lease deal?? £480 over 6 and a quarter years plus your £3k would do it on finance at 0%.

To put into the equation an sq5?? What a machine. Mate had the s5 4.2v8. Really sore to sit in the back as your head hits the roof. But if you want a big 2 seater why not.

l really do have a soft spot for the A5/S5 and even more so the RS5,the design itself has aged little,one of Audi's better designs,my son a Audi salesman has had 2 consecutive A5's as company cars a Misano Black Ed and the Sepang Black Ed Plus above,both lovely cars,my only gripes with the car are,the deep dashboard binnacle and even more so, the long bonnet from the driver's persective,the car itself suits darker paint colours,Daytona,Panther,my fave being Sepang it looks very classy indeed in this colour,,also seen the car in Racing Mica Blue.......it looked out this world in that colour,as for handling the S3 aint the best,the S5 wont be any worse probably better?

Go for it.

As for Leasing deals on the S5 "basic" £335+VAT....last December,from Centralvehicleleasing.co.uk

Last edited:
Reactions: Simon L
You guys are having a bleedin giraffe!!

I'm not reading this sodding thread anymore!! Lol

Leasing deals are interesting until you want and options - or to modify the car. Just adding drive select and sports diff can add nearly £50 a month.

Check the discounts at Broadspeed, etc. Looks like you should be able to get well over 10% discount in addition to Audi UK deposit contribution.

Interesting comments about Sepang Blue: I have a Daytona Grey S4 avant on order (yes, yet another). Mrs SB took one look at a Sepang Blue car and said "It's nice, but you'll look like you couldn't afford an RS4". :)

Reactions: GTDezza
Great write up and wouldn't disagree with anything you've written (as a completely biased S5 driver). It would be interesting if you got to drive one with the sports diff, I certainly feel it makes a difference but on comparison I have is my previous A5 3.0 TDi without the diff - but can't tell how much of the difference is Sportback vs. Coupe.

Sure you've done your homework but Carwow and Drive the Deal are also worth a look. Some good discounts to be had at the moment.

Sorry over how many years or is this a lease deal?? £480 over 6 and a quarter years plus your £3k would do it on finance at 0%.

This is for a 48 month PCP deal, with a mileage limit of 5K. Not sure of the final GFV but think it's about 17K (same as S3).

I've spent the last 2 days looking at A5/S5's around town and have seen White, Black, Red, Sepang, Grey (think Daytona), Dark Blue (think Estoril or Scuba) and Silver (don't think it's the new Floret). Favourites so far as surprisingly White and Sepang.
It will be very interesting today when I get back in my S3 to see how I feel :uhm:

I've asked the dealer to throw in a metallic/pearl paint and the extended storage pack, and keep the finance quote I was previously given the same. Let's see what he says. I won't be signing anything today :sly:

It's a shame the 5.0v8 Mustang hasn't landed for test drives in the UK yet, as I'd be keen to see how it stacked up for character, driveability and finance. I guess being a serial car changer I shouldn't worry too much as I can always have one of those next :w00t:

Reactions: Jassyo06, AndyB-S3 and Psyman79
This is for a 48 month PCP deal, with a mileage limit of 5K. Not sure of the final GFV but think it's about 17K (same as S3).

Sorry to bang on I'm honestly interest to see if you have a better way to change cars often. If you are a serial car changer (as I am, changing 2 cars every 2 years) do you assume you can be bought out of this 4 year deal early? Therefore, you are dependant on the S5 residuals to stay high or you may remain welded into that car for the long term? I assume your S3 is under a similar deal?

Sorry to bang on I'm honestly interest to see if you have a better way to change cars often. If you are a serial car changer (as I am, changing 2 cars every 2 years) do you assume you can be bought out of this 4 year deal early? Therefore, you are dependant on the S5 residuals to stay high or you may remain welded into that car for the long term? I assume your S3 is under a similar deal?

No you've got it bang on, it's financial suicide to change cars every year/2 years. You hope that the residuals keep high, and after 2 years of a 4 year deal, that you have some equity in the car. S3/S5 generally keep their value well so it's not too bad. To change though you usually need to add a few K of cash, knowing that you're pretty much throwing it away, and you'll need to find the same amount again when you want to change. My S3 is on a similar deal.

I am totally aware of what changing my cars cost me, I've lost heaps on some cars, not so much on others. I know it's a waste of money and expensive, but I don't smoke/drink/play golf and feel I can spend some of what I earn on what I enjoy :D

Reactions: Brasso, Snake Pliskin, GTDezza and 3 others
Sweet, I prefer the low risk of a fixed lease short term contract as I'm usually happy with either a std spec car or one with options that link to residual increments such as BMWs options packs such as professional media. but I understand those that want to options the car up but take the risk on the longer period.

I assume though that with
1. the new S5 being on the horizon and
2. the huge discount available will create more volume on the market

These will have a harder impact on the S5 than the relatively low volume low discount on the S3.

The mustang though is an interesting opportunity.

431c8767e1b5a88c8163b4543a662384.jpg

I would love to try a Mustang .. there is one glaringly obvious error in your post though GTDezza .. 2.3 Ecoboost, really! Who's going to want one of them lol .... a Mustang HAS to be a v8!!! :arco:

Reactions: Psyman79, GTDezza and Shrek5
Ok then!!!!

e32c928c67cb424a811dcaf34d7af36e.jpg

get it bought!!!!

Reactions: Shrek5
£579/month to borrow a Mustang for 4 years. People must have rocks in their head.
Why? It's not for everyone but if you are buying a brand new car then it's probably not as daft as it seems. You can either sink £xx,xxx in one go and watch it depreciate, or you can take the car but pay that depreciation plus some interest.

Whether that suits an individual is up to them, but I don't agree with the notion that leasing/PCP etc are all bad - provided the consumer understands what they are paying for and why.

Reactions: GTDezza
I'm not being anti-finance. What I'm saying is that a £35k Mustang isn't going to lose £27792 over 4 years. It'll be more expensive to go for that lease deal than to PCP one, and we don't even know the GMFV yet.

New car models always demand higher lease deals...........give the Mustang 12 months on the market and the lease deals will plummet,**** the Mustang give me new Focus RS....residuals....best Ford you can buy for them and NO lease deals

Reactions: veeeight
New car models always demand higher lease deals...........give the Mustang 12 months on the market and the lease deals will plummet,**** the Mustang give me new Focus RS....residuals....best Ford you can buy for them and NO lease deals

Yeah, but could you really go from an Audi to a Ford?

I know they're reckoned to be a blast to drive but I swear to god I haven't seen an RS or ST driver near me who looks older than 12!!

One thing I said to my wife after we test drove the S3 and decided to go ahead with it is that there ain't a cat in hells chance I'll ever downgrade from that level of finish again. The only way is up.......................... ;)

Reactions: JM11EEE, ThatOneDude, GTDezza and 1 other person
Yeah, but could you really go from an Audi to a Ford?

I know they're reckoned to be a blast to drive but I swear to god I haven't seen an RS or ST driver near me who looks older than 12!!

One thing I said to my wife after we test drove the S3 and decided to go ahead with it is that there ain't a cat in hells chance I'll ever downgrade from that level of finish again. The only way is up.......................... ;)

Hey Simon l went from a MK3 ST to a S3 LOL in a few ways and in one particular way,l miss the ST and thats the Road Handling,in all aspects the Audi is better and so it should the ST was £28,500 the Audi £40,000

Reactions: Simon L

At the risk of ruining yet another thread, the Focus RS is the car I am most looking forward to driving this year :)

I really couldn't care less about the interior, if it drives well ;)

Reactions: Psyman79, Bristle Hound, Blackwhite and 1 other person
At the risk of ruining yet another thread, the Focus RS is the car I am most looking forward to driving this year :)

I really couldn't care less about the interior, if it drives well ;)

Hey Veeeight,l think the only known done side to the car at the moment is the LAG on the 8" touchscreen Satnav.....lol

Test drive is a must for me too.

I Found the interior very pleasant

Reactions: veeeight
Hey Simon l went from a MK3 ST to a S3 LOL in a few ways and in one particular way,l miss the ST and thats the Road Handling,in all aspects the Audi is better and so it should the ST was £28,500 the Audi £40,000

OK, well as it's confession I'll admit to being fairly close to buying the previous RS but at the time we still needed more space and to be honest my missus didn't like it!!

In my humble opinion the new shape is a big step backwards in the looks department, but again I don't doubt it will be a blast to drive. Just remember to get the optional bag for your head so no-one recognises you!! ;)

I'm not being anti-finance. What I'm saying is that a £35k Mustang isn't going to lose £27792 over 4 years. It'll be more expensive to go for that lease deal than to PCP one, and we don't even know the GMFV yet.

Not sure of you workings but in case you missed this remember the costs include car tax, which on the mustang is £1100 in first year and £505 a year after that = £2,615

And as for the RS I did try to get the wife to approve one as a company lease 6/7 years ago when I got full tax and NI relief (before that loop hole was closed) so including insurance and servicing it was £350 a month!!

Just to complete this thread, I ordered an S4 saloon yesterday ... even better deal than the S5.

All the noise and driving experience of the S5, but with a bit more practicality. I want to blend in a bit more too, so another white A4 saloon will go pretty much unnoticed around Aberdeen ha ha.

Reactions: TDI-line, Cleggy70, Shrek5 and 6 others
Just to complete this thread, I ordered an S4 saloon yesterday ... even better deal than the S5.

All the noise and driving experience of the S5, but with a bit more practicality. I want to blend in a bit more too, so another white A4 saloon will go pretty much unnoticed around Aberdeen ha ha.
@TheFiftheElement - Good choice ;) :D

Biased? Me? :eyebrows: