1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dilemma: Cheapo OR Mid-Range DVD Recorder?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema, Hi-Fi and Gadgets' started by AL_B, Dec 15, 2005.

1. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

Current DVD Player:
    Mid-range, Pioneer. Cost about £400 about 5 years ago, and was 5-star rated in What Hi-Fi. Great for movies and audio.

Situation:

Have SKY+, and have got quite a few Top Gear episodes that just HAVE to be kept. (That programme is just so good!).

Question:

Do I go for a cheap DVD recorder? And I mean cheap, like from Asda or somewhere.

Or Do I go the whole hog and upgrade to a mid-range DVD recorder (E.g. Sony RDR-HXD710) and consign my perfectly good pioneer to the electronics graveyard?

Cheers

AL
  2. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

ebay your current one, adn then put it towards the mid range recorder!
  3. madvw

madvw Active Member

I recently went for a middle of the range sony jobbie. I figured that what i really wanted would be a HD-DVD recorder, but its going to be about 5 years before they come down to an acceptable price. in the meantime, i may as well get as good-a-quality as i can, until they get cheaper.
  4. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member

If you have Sky+, you don't need a dvd recorder with a hard drive.

Panasonic do some decent units at under £200. The Panasonic DMR ES10 is on special offer for £149 in Argos.

Check your local Panasonic Shop, they may have last years models like the DMR E65 which was £399 for sale for £169.
  5. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

Thanks for the advice lads.
  6. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Still waiting for a Sky+ with integrated DVD-RW. If they released one it would use the same menu system as Sky+ it would wipe the floor with every other system out there, they have to have one out soon.
  7. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

The panasonic does look a great deal. 5 star rating too. And records +R/RW and -R/RW, which is a bit of a rarity.

About Sky+. Has anyone used the copy facility? Andy_Mac, you sound like you may have done.

Is it one speed?

And can you watch another channel whilst it's copying to the DVD/Video recorder?

Cheers

AL
  8. arthurfuxake

arthurfuxake Controversial & Contradictive

9. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Have just read a review in What Hi-Fi S&V about a new entry-level DVD recorder from Philips. The model number is DVDR3305, & it retails at £150. It doesn't have a hard disk, but then you don't need one as you've got the Sky+.

The review is great (five stars), both as recorder and player. It's compatible with DVD-R/-RW and DVD+R/+RW. The only limitation is that it doesn't record to dual-layer disks.

Well worth a look, I'd say. Just done a quick Google search & found this:

Philips Linky

BTW, I've tried archiving a recording from Sky+ to an external recorder, but only once, just after I got it. IIRC, it exports in real time, and you can't use it for viewing or recording whilst it's doing it. But like I said, it was a while ago, so am happy to be corrected if I've remembered wrong.
  10. jdp1962

[ QUOTE ]
    Still waiting for a Sky+ with integrated DVD-RW. If they released one it would use the same menu system as Sky+ it would wipe the floor with every other system out there, they have to have one out soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear what you say, Andymac & it's a great idea. But Sky's next generation digi-box is going to be the HD- one early next year, & there's no sign of it including a DVD-R/RW drive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
  11. AndyMac

They must already have one, I mean it's not exactly complicated, just one more option on the screen to select "Source". It could then offload treasured programs at full write speed rather than real time.
    Yes Jeff you're right it has to do it in real time to support video.
    I bet they're not allowed to release it until the market is flooded with half arsed DVD-RW "solutions". Yes, these are great for pirating films but are hardly a step forward from VHS in terms of useability (yes I know the quality is better, but you're still programming it like it's a VCR).
    Can't think why one of the other vendors doesn't team up with them and at least release a seperate machine that works off the Sky+ menu system. I'd certainly buy one tommorrow.
  12. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

I have two Panasonic DVD recorders.
    The E50 and the E55.
    Combined with SKY+,they give you all the recording options you'll ever need.
    Okay,neither of them do -RW,but do I miss -RW ?
    Do I f........

Both machines have been 100% reliable,which is more than can be said for the 'cheaper' recorders.
  13. jdp1962

I've got Sky+ for HD disposable recordings, & a Panasonic E50 for archiving. Like Bowfer said, it's all you need. Still, like Anymac said, it'd be great if they were in one box.
  14. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member

The basic Panasonic DM-RES10 seems good value... £149 for a DVD recorder that is multiregion!
  15. arthurfuxake

arthurfuxake Controversial & Contradictive

[ QUOTE ]
    The basic Panasonic DM-RES10 seems good value... £149 for a DVD recorder that is multiregion!

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it support DTS?
  16. AndyMac

I'd quite happily use 2 boxes, it's more the menu system that would be so cool. You could then take recordings off Sky+ onto DVD and retain the program titling & synopsis, so when playing back the DVD you just do it through the Sky+ menu, by selecting Source and switching from hard drive to DVD. They could also incorporate an SD card slot so you could quickly share programs between Sky+ boxes.
  17. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it support DTS?

[/ QUOTE ]
    No DTS is not supported on the DM-RES10.