Digital speed in DIS

navnayyar

Reaction score
can I code my 2.0tdi 2004 so it displays the digital speed on the DIS like in s3 and probably new audis? Is it simple VAG-COM coding as I have this or will I need extra module, etc? thanks

how much of a job is it to replace the cluster to the newer version? what will I need change or do? what about mileage and immob?

Good reply Khufu but navnayyar, does it really warrant all the work simply to have a digital readout? I would want to have other added benefits...

I wouldn't bother because they are notoriously so far out as to be not a lot of use !!
My speedo is 7 mph fast at indicated 80 (Actually 73) so i presume the digital will be the same ?

Changing the cluster is 2 min job, dont know how involved the network controller is though NHN should do as he has changed his. IIRC network controller rev. K is the one to get, after that is for the 2009 facelift & will also need some rewiring too.

The immob & mileage are bit trickier. Audi claim they can do the immob but not the mileage unless its a new cluster. There are 3rd parties that claim they can do both eg: http://www.prestige-decodes.co.uk/

After this you will still need to code everything properly using VCDS.

What ever route, it wont be cheap but you will also get nice new menus too LOL

do you have part numbers for the parts I need? Il give my parts huy a call in morining and see if its worth persuing

Just looking at your car I see its a diesel so there are problems using an S3 cluster, you will need to find out if all 2008 on cluster support the digital speedo or if its just the S3.

Assuming all do, this might work as both are diesels: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A3-CLOCK...s_SM?hash=item33556118a4&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I believe the part number for the network module is 8P0907279K, like this one was:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380146230643&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

NHN is the best source for 100% info as I only mooted the idea.

Yes you rang, lol.

The clusters seem to show from 06/07 onwards mate for digital speed & the speeds are not out that much but you have to realise the digital speed cant change as quickly as we change speeds so cant been spot on.

As for fitting newer cluster, I did a write up for this:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=67883

In your case as an 04 its possible you need new pump & the additional wire, potentially also the new J519 main controller that is setup in vcds under module 09.

What month is your car in 04?

How much are you looking at spending?? It's quite expensive isn't it Nigel?

Excellent !! set it on KPH and your girl will be impressed....lol

I've got a TDI cluster MPH 2007 PN: 8P0 920 981 F that I never got round to fitting before I sold my Sportback - not sure whether it would do you - maybe someone can advise?

Tested it once to check that it worked - has approx 34391 on the clock - you'd need to get the mileage sorted and immo matched to your keys...

Dunno bout clusters etc.

However, if you're that desperate for a digi speedo, and you have a Concert II radio, then Kph can be displayed.

Press and hold button 1 whilst switching the radio on.

Press 'Tone' 7 times.

Bobs your mothers brother.

A good bit more accurate than the traditional speedo by the way.

First one of the 6 along the bottom.

Edit: make sure it's in radio mode first - I think! It's been a while
since I tried it.

Should basically display something like:

000-00.0

kph will zoom up on the left iirc

Last edited:
so.. hold button one, switch on radio, release button1 and press "tone buttom 7 times?

Yep!

Dunno what the the other digits you cycle through the first 6 times are for though.

Let me know how you get on.

cost effective option :) - can try on RNS-E engineering mode but think it more likely to cause an accident LOL

Ye I did it but wasnt really impressed tbh :(

No worries- just trying to help!

I think the reason the speed is in the radio is for the compensative volume:

go faster, road noise increases, volume adjusts itself etc..

Don't use it myself, just a fun feature

I like the digital speedo. Mine is 1mph fast compared to my GPS device.

I can't beleive how far my A3 speedo is out. Its by far the worst of any cars i've owned.

At the very most speedos have been out by 10%, i bought an old sierra 1.8 for a joke, and at an indicated 100 that was showing as 94 on the sat nav.

In my A3 to get 94 on the sat nav the speedo would be reading about 108, and at an indicated 140ish on the speedo its around 123 on the sat nav. Terrible.

I can't beleive how far my A3 speedo is out. Its by far the worst of any cars i've owned.

At the very most speedos have been out by 10%, i bought an old sierra 1.8 for a joke, and at an indicated 100 that was showing as 94 on the sat nav.

In my A3 to get 94 on the sat nav the speedo would be reading about 108, and at an indicated 140ish on the speedo its around 123 on the sat nav. Terrible.

I wouldn't say that it's specifically bad on Audis. There was a thread a while back where I said that on my top speed run my speedo said 179, the sat nav said 168 and the GPS said 165. Other people came back and said that theirs was almost bang on accurate at 100+ speeds.

Tyre pressures can have a huge effect on that accuracy of your speedo at those speeds.

Your quite right, I wasn't generalising Audis as having inaccurate speedos, just pointing out how bad my A3 was.

What size wheels are you running crunch & what size were they originally?

Running 18s with 40 profile. Not sure what it came out the factory with but im sure it will have been smaller.

If anything the bigger wheels will have made the gps top speed higher, bringing the inaccuracy margin down.

The other way around mate. Smaller wheels make the car think you're going faster as they're turning more times for a given distance.

18s with 40 are standard for S-Lines. Is that what you have?

I don't think you've interpreted what I said correctly...

How can I explain,, say at 5000 revs in 6th the wheels are rotating at 200rpm. With standard 16 inch wheels, this may show up as 140mph on the speedo. The gps speed will be a lot lower.

Now do 5000 revs in 6th with 18s, the wheels will still be rotating at 200rpm (as youve only changed the wheel size), this will still show up as 140mph on the speedo but the car will be travelling a lot faster than it would with the 16 inch wheels on.

The bigger wheels you fit, the more top speed you will gain, but the speedo speed will remain the same no matter what wheels are fitted as the speedo is (presumably) ran off a sensor in the gearbox.

Yeah sorry we're both saying the same thing but in different ways. Brain is a little tired today!

After reading this, im still confused

Do the 2008 clusters have the digital speed in the DIS? Part number 8P0920981