1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difficult gear change when cold

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Kevint, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Kevint

Kevint Active Member

Advice please...

For the last couple of months I've notice changing gear from first to second requires more force than usual, and it's getting worse, it's getting the point where I feel as though a *crunch* might be coming next.

This only happens first thing in the morning when the car is cold and goes away as soon as it has warmed up, perhaps 2 or 3 miles of driving, it never happens again during the day, and again, only in changing from first to second.

Car has covered 85K but had a new gear box at 56K /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Any ideas?

Kev.

2. Replace Gearbox oil. Mate had same problem and it went away after he had this done.

3. [ QUOTE ]
    Replace Gearbox oil. Mate had same problem and it went away after he had this done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep . I'd 2nd that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Deff worth a go.

BUB

4. EnzoS4

EnzoS4 Member

I had a similar issue - when in traffic on hot days I had trouble going into 1st at stand still and from 1st to 2nd, all other gears are fine. Audi suggested selector bearings need replacing which is a known issue on S4s, for a £2,000 bill I bet its a known issue. Oh and the clutch was tested and found to be in good health.

Anyway took the car to AMD, replaced the gearbox oil and its alot better now. I still have the issue now and then but not as often

Good Luck

5. m_o_w_g_l_i

m_o_w_g_l_i Member

What would you fellas recommend then? I've used castrol (?) synthetic in the past but I've heard a lot of good things about Amsoil synthetic.