Differneces in Sway Bars?

Mutinyno9

Reaction score
I was told in a different topic that if i were to put the S4 suspension on my 1.8T that it would be a good idea to also get a 19mm rear sway bar to fix the oversteer. I was checkin out things online and notice a lot of different types/kinds/sizes of sway bars for the front and rear. I know i have a stock sway bar in the front lower(i have removed it once before) and i don't think i have a rear one though. My questions is what is the difference between the sizes of sway bars compared to fronts and rears and adjustable ones? Is it ok to get a rear sway bar and leave the stock one in front?

On the UK market the A4 comes with a 12.5mm rear bar, a4 sport and s4 15mm rear bar.
The front bar is universally a 29mm bar on a4, a4 sport and s4.

My bad on the spec for the front sway bar. I don't know if the numbers are different in the US (where I am). I stand corrected.

As far as I know, you can't fit one up top without severe modification. And I don't think it's a necessity like the JDM cars. Audis are fairly rigid; Audi's torsional rigidity is one of the best in the automotive world.

So how different is a 19mm rear sway bar from like a 29mm rear sway bar. Do they both do the same thing just the bar is bigger?

You don't want to go too stiff. Too stiff will give major oversteer. 19mm seems to be the dialed in preference with most everyone for a rear sway upgrade - especially with upgraded springs or coilovers.