Different Speed ... same engine 2.0 tdi dsg

n3cr0

Reaction score
well, i ve been talking with some friends from www.audisport-iberica.com about this and im starting to think that the 2.0 tdi manual has more top speed than the 2.0 tdi dsg.
in the same speed, the dsg has more RPM ..

have to checked this out?:unsure:

one pic from my top speed driveng. dont call me crazy ... :ermm:

Now then - the dashboard display is interesting Necro. It looks to me like you're in "automatic" mode, but that the dash display also tells you that you're in 6th gear. In the UK, when I'm in "automatic" mode, my display only shows PRNDS. When in manual mode it changes to 654321, but I can't see the gear shown in auto. Does anyone know if there's a way to change the UK display to show the gear number too like here?

When I bought my DSG in the UK, the dealer told me that the gear ratios were exactly the same between the DSG and the manual gearbox. Mine seems to do about 32mph (50kmh) per 1000 rpm in 6th, which is about 4200 rpm at 220kmh, so my uk DSG car on 18" wheels looks to be geared the same as yours....

alfiejts said:
Now then - the dashboard display is interesting Necro. It looks to me like you're in "automatic" mode, but that the dash display also tells you that you're in 6th gear. In the UK, when I'm in "automatic" mode, my display only shows PRNDS. When in manual mode it changes to 654321, but I can't see the gear shown in auto. Does anyone know if there's a way to change the UK display to show the gear number too like here?

When I bought my DSG in the UK, the dealer told me that the gear ratios were exactly the same between the DSG and the manual gearbox. Mine seems to do about 32mph (50kmh) per 1000 rpm in 6th, which is about 4200 rpm at 220kmh, so my uk DSG car on 18" wheels looks to be geared the same as yours....

Cars with the updated gearshifter (i.e. from approx 3/2005 onwards) also got a slightly different display which included gear information when in D & S modes.

Where on earth did you find a road long enough to get a 2.0tdi up to top speed ! :)
It must have taken ages.
Glaciers move quicker.

PS,my display shows D and gear selected too.

bowfer said:
Where on earth did you find a road long enough to get a 2.0tdi up to top speed ! :)

here in spain we have a lot of speedways.
u don´t need a very long road, cant reach that speed sooner going down :p

But the top speed of a 2.0 TDI 140 is 205kph, not 220. The 170 does 220kph.

n3cr0 said:
i think it could go even faster ... a little more faster.. up to 235 km/h

147 mph ??? !!!!

LOL !!!!!

Wildly optimistic speedo then.

No way on earth the car would be really doing anything like that.
Laughable to even consider it as a possibility.

Using the speedo is pointless as you've no idea of the error. You either need GPS to get your real speed or using fixed mile/km markers at the roadside to work it out.

Fastest I've had mine up to was 127mph measured on GPS, at which point the speedo was showing 140mph!

So what's the updated gearshifter fitted from March 2005? What am I missing out on with my older DSG model?

centre%20console.jpg

Out of my 2.0 tdi S Line dsg Ive had 135mph on the sat nav speedo was showing 140mph

stevehsv868 said:
Out of my 2.0 tdi S Line dsg Ive had 135mph on the sat nav speedo was showing 140mph

Both wrong then.
It's just an impossibility.
You need a lot more than 140bhp to do that sorts of speeds and I don't even think the gearing would allow it.
The car would have reached it's rev limit in top before that.
It would be way past peak revs at those sorts of speeds.

I don't take your figures with a pinch of salt.
I'm taking your figures with the government's maximum RDA.

What you want is a 102PS 1.6 A3.
According to Audi's website,their top speed is 183mph !

The fastest speed I drove my previous A3 2.0TDI-140 was an indicated 135mph on a reasonably clear German autobahn. The speedo on that car used to read about 9% over so the true speed was around 123mph. I think the car would have gone a little faster but that was fast enough for me.

Perhaps in June when I drive though Germany again I will see what my new 170 will do - conditions permitting.

photo showing the speedo at 135 and the recvs at around 4000...

135mph.jpg

So if I'm reading those gearing charts right,a 140bhp DSG would have to be pulling 4800rpm in top to do a true 135mph.
There's simply no way the car will do that,as I thought.

bowfer said:
Both wrong then.
It's just an impossibility.
The claimed top speed of the 140 TDI is 129mph. I had mine up to 127mph verified via GPS so I've no reason to doubt the 129mph claim. Add in a slight downward incline and 135mph is more than possible.

I believe it is possible with a downward incline, after all the engine has to do less work downhill... it would be a similar situation if the car all of a sudden lost 200 Kg for instance... For example, my S3 has already got to 260Km/h and still had 200-300 revs for redline... Speedo error for sure but was with a bit of incline... so in reality I should have been close to 250Kph real... A GPS will be more accurate we know.

Pedro