Different electric window problem A3

daver332211

Reaction score
Hi,
My 3 door 1998 1.6 A3 has developed an interesting fault. When I unlock and open the drivers door the front windows come down until I close the doors again. (if I unlock and open the passenger door everything behaves) I can then close the windows with the interior switches or with the key whilst locking the car again. Needless to say this didn't really bother me but now its cold and wet its getting a bit irritating.
As a quick fix I was thinking about disabling the door open switch in the drivers door but am unable to find a wiring diagram.

Does anyone have any ideas or a suitable wiring diagram?

Thanks

Try leaving the windows down abit then lock the car with the button on the key once its locked quickly push and hold the lock button and it should roll the windows up on its own I think there is some sort of memory thing that remembers the window position I had the same sort of problem but mine only opened a crack when I unlocked so every time I walk away from the car I always do the lock the hold to make sure there up.

Thanks for the info I'll give it a go although the car doesn't have remote central locking so I'll try messing about with the physical door locks.

You should have central locking unless the key was lost before you bought the car you must have the work shop key. You can buy blank central locking keys and have it cut then match it up to the car. I have the same car as you only difference is mines a 99 not a 98 and had the same window problem I was ready to unplug the window motor untill one day I was messing with the key and the windows went up on there own.