Different Calipers

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
I've spent the last couple of days trolling ebay looking at calipers cause I got an urge to rebuild a set.
After looking at hundreds of different makes and models of calipers with different mountings, different condition and different sizes.

This got me thinking, apart from the B6 calipers, porsche boxster and S3/TT carriers. What other options are there for the B5 and has any one put any thing completely different on to a B5?

I noticed A8s do a 380mm front disk.
And there is some other makes of calipers on ebay that seems pretty cheap.

Ive just bought Cayenne turbo calipers that would use a 350mm disc when fitted. They are 6 pot and absolutely huge

I have a pair of a6/s6 discs at work not doing anything if you find a use for them lol. 347x30mm

What's the reason to go that big ? Is overkill really when a decent set of 330mm 2 pieces discs and 4 pot calipers will do more than fine ! Remember that you need to upgrade the rear to maintain bias and if you go too big the master cylider wont be able to supply the leverage which means that you'll have reduced braking power NOT increased which defeats the purpose !

What's the reason to go that big ? Is overkill really when a decent set of 330mm 2 pieces discs and 4 pot calipers will do more than fine ! Remember that you need to upgrade the rear to maintain bias and if you go too big the master cylider wont be able to supply the leverage which means that you'll have reduced braking power NOT increased which defeats the purpose !

It looks cool.
Thats my only thinking behind it.

All that unsprung weight will play havoc with the handling on the front ! A set of brembo 4 pot calipers do look good as well and actualy work not just look good...