1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Differences after rear bushes are replaced?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by jbw, Oct 12, 2005.

1. jbw

jbw Member

[Oct 12, 2005]
    I've just got my a3 back from the garage and they've replaced both the rear bushes and the 3rd party back box. The car feels different to drive though...
    Before, my brakes were really responsive. If I rested my foot on the brake my car would react. Now it feels like there is a little play in the brake pedal - I'm having to apply more pressure to get the car to stop. I nearly crashed 3 times at roundabouts yesterday due to this difference in brakes. The handbrake feels like it's been adjusted or tightened to (this I don't mind though).
    Also, this could be my imagination but, I'm sure the suspension is softer or more bouncy than before. I can't be sure about this till I've driven it some more.
    Handling does feel better though.
    Is all this common when changing only the rear bushes?

ta,
    jbw
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[Oct 12, 2005]
    sounds like they may have got some air in the system. Dont think anybody has mentioned ever having the rear bushes on an a3 changed on the forum IIRC. I would get them to re-bleed the brakes, tell them your not happy and dont feel safe.
  4. jbw

jbw Member

[Oct 12, 2005]
    Please forgive my ignorance but can I ask how air would get in the system? Would they have bled the brakes when doing the bushes?

ta,
    jbw
  5. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[Oct 12, 2005]
    They miore than likely removed the rear fluid lines to make changing them easier. This being the case, then if they were not bled, or not bled properly then the pedal would be mushy and travel far before applying force on the brakes.

Rich
  6. jbw

jbw Member

[Oct 12, 2005]
    I've phoned the garage and he's agreed to bleed the brakes tomorrow morning. You've both been very helpful - thank you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

ta,
    jbw