1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference?

Discussion in 'VCDS (formerly VAG-COM) forum' started by Daboyracer, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Daboyracer

Daboyracer Speed Freak

[Mar 24, 2010]
    hi all,
    gonna get me a cable next week but i want to know the difference between the ones sold on ebay and the one 'NHN' is supplying?

thanks

Damo
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 25, 2014]

3. SAiLO

SAiLO Enthusiast VCDS Map User

[Mar 25, 2010]
    You won't get the most recent, fully licensed version of VCDS with the cable bought on eBay, also the quality of the cable may not be the best.
  4. Gti Jazz Blue

Gti Jazz Blue Active Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 25, 2010]
    Also potentially you may purchase an illegal cracked copy of VCDS or cable.

Ross-Tech spend a lot of money in R&D, Software Development and User Support but still they manage to produce and sell a product at a reasonable price point for what it can do. Just ask a dealer how much his official VAG diagnostic system costs.

Do yourself a big favour and make sure that you purchase a genuine Ross-Tech cable.

Paul
  5. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Mar 25, 2010]
    hey Damo, ok some info may help you decide even if not from me:

1st of all they're illegal if you are getting anything above version 409, counterfeit & its very commonly known that they tend to give up the ghost so what a waste of money overall
    2nd it will be locked to a specific version & not updateable whatsoever if its above 409
    3rd if you buy the dumb interface for version 312-409 then this would be a shareware version & very limited & its extremely old, plus if you buy a license for this from RT then this will be also the older 409 version as they dont support dumb interfaces after that version
    4th you will pay $99 for the license for the much older version, this is a waste of money IMHO as its older version, locked to a pc cant be used on any machine, only one & with cable thats maybe £100, IMHO pointless but others would differ.
    5th no support whatsoever & I personally dont support or help people with counterfeits, although others may do
    6th No use of updated versions released & compatibility with new cars, where as genuine ones will always work on all cars when released with an update
    7th Genuine ones get free updates & free support
    8th Genuine ones can be used on any pc/laptop given the activation is built into the cable, not the software, I've used mine on numerous laptops without problems, given I'm a tech whore & I like new laptops frequently & work in this sector.

I mean I could list many more reasons, but do I really need to, maybe someone will list why not to use genuine, but overall I cant think of one reason why not to tbh, here's a simple maths lesson without being condescending

VAG VAS5052 is £5-12k & you must subscribe to updates at a huge cost
    VCDS supplied delivered £244(from me) with free updates & support

The term no brainer would seem appropriate here woudnt you agree & anyone that says its expensive or a rip of needs a lobotomy :)

8.5th You get to deal with my happy face, that alone is worth millions, grab it whilst you can mate :nyah:
  6. Gti Jazz Blue

Gti Jazz Blue Active Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 25, 2010]
    Blimey mate you got that spiel in a document that you cut'n'paste from, is you happy face really worth that much - LOL :jester:
  7. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Mar 25, 2010]
    No I just made up the top part, but the 8.5th is from a best seller, it was called "How To Buy A Vagcom Successfully Without Getting Bum Raped "

:lmfao:
  8. Daboyracer

Daboyracer Speed Freak

[Mar 25, 2010]
    Thanks for all the replys looks like i wont be getting the cable next week but will be trying to put the money together for the legit one