1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diesels - too loud?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Floob, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Floob

Floob Member

Hi,

I have a Audi 1.8T 1998 at the moment, but was looking to get a 2004 or newer diesel to save on fuel economy.

Does anyone have any views on how loud the newer Audis are? Are there any other reasons why I should discount a diesel?

Thanks for any views.

Floob.
  2. biggiep

biggiep Member

They are only loud when cold then settle in my experience, had 7 VAG PD Diesels now :footy:
  3. Wai-Fan

Wai-Fan Member

I just picked up my 2004 A3 2.0 TDi Sport on tuesday and personally the noise isn't that bad. When the engine is cold or sometimes at low speeds you can notice the sound of the engine. But after it has warmed up or when your cruising outside of 30mph zones then the car is quite refined.
  4. Markm49

Markm49 Member

The 170 is more refined then the 140 - but really apart from when cold both engines are refined enough. At motorway speeds they are much quieter than most similar capacity petrol engines.
  5. Floob

Floob Member

Thanks for the responses - this is good to know.
    Looks like I may go for a diesel then.
  6. sleeves_008

sleeves_008 Member

I have a 2.0tdi 140 A3, its louder than BMW diesels, but compared to the 57 plate company astra's at work its alot quieter both inside and out.
  7. cliveywolves

cliveywolves Member

Got a 170 DPF TDI , little noisey from cold start but apart from that i dont notice it at all now and i only had the car for 1 month...
  8. benw123

benw123 Moderator

Agree with the other responses; both the 1.9 and 2.0 generate a lot of clatter from cold but they do settle down a bit when warmed up. However, if refinement is your thing there are other quieter units around (Honda and Ford spring to mind), unless you're buying the very latest VAG 2.0TDI which has common rail fuel injection. Apparently these are a lot quieter.