DieselGeek short shift

j4jon

Reaction score
Since I got the S3 I felt the distance between gears seemed quite large so went looking for a short shift kit. Now the normal ones are from Neuspeed, ECS etc. I wanted one that would do both front to back and side to side reduction. I was interested in something different that wasn't following the norm which lead me to the Dieselgeek kit. The kit is different to the others as the design is completly different to Audi's. It doesn't have the shift weight and has milled blocks instead of the original cable ends that Audi used.

I ordered it on Wednesday evening at around 5:30 and it arrived 9:50 Friday morning from the states not bad for $45 shipping. Total cost delivered was £127.17

First impressions are that the throw is reduced dramatically and now the distance between gears is quite a bit less than it was. It's slightly notchy at the moment but it does say it will take a week or so to bed in properly.

Overal I'm very impressed the quality is fantastic, the instrutions great if a little wordy, delivery as quick if not quicker than ordering a similar kit from in the uk and it costs about the same as ordering a kit from over here too.
Here are some pics

09022008366.jpg

09022008367.jpg

09022008368.jpg

Reactions: Roadtrain
Its very well made, should be on display in the car not hidden in the engine bay

Dont you find you're in the next gear along time before your foot is even near off the clutch?...
Did that make sense?

I can think of better ways to spend £127 inall honest! I think you lose the self adjusting cable ends too.

All show, no go!!
The strange thing is that my stock box and linkage seems perfect

I have one of these on mine and was impressed, made the gearbox feel almost as good as the one in my old lupo gti. A definate improvement as i thought the standard lever has way to much travel on it.

I looked at the Forge kits, then figured when I cba Ill knock up a custom one at work if were short of things to do!

Looks interesting tho, DG stuff is usually quite good

why not just use a TT short shift linkage, would this not do the same thing ? + self adjust

As I say mine feels spot on! I wonder if the urated dogbone and engine mounts on mine help by reducing the drivetrain shunt. ??

Looks a decent piece of kit...

I'm hard on gearboxes anyway and usually end up wrecking 2nd to 3rd synchros by shifting too fast...and a short shift only makes that easier to do.

If it works for you...good stuff.

Not for me though...I never liked the feel of the 02M with a quick shift...too notchy and too easy to slot 3rd instead of 5th etc.

Seems much better now that it has had chance to bed in properly.

I don't think the standard end self adjust do they? As when you set up the DG shifter you use the same method that Audi do to adjust the standard kit.

The TT linkage only works on the 5 speed box the 6 speed TT and S3 gearboxes are the same.

I would do it again if I bought another S3, or 6 speed A3.

And Shy19s I have heard people say that you tend to go through clutches quicker with a short shift as people tend to ride the clutch, but hey ho we'll see how it goes.

i m pretty sure the the TT 6 speed box isnt the same as the S3 box. I stand corrected but i drove one for 3-4 days & noticed a massive difference.

TT has a very slightly different shift linkage to "normal" vag 6 speed, eg golfs etc, but I am pretty sure the S3 has the same linkage.

Gbox on 6 speed 4wd tt is same as s3, definately.

Since I got the S3 I felt the distance between gears seemed quite large so went looking for a short shift kit. Now the normal ones are from Neuspeed, ECS etc. I wanted one that would do both front to back and side to side reduction. I was interested in something different that wasn't following the norm which lead me to the Dieselgeek kit. The kit is different to the others as the design is completly different to Audi's. It doesn't have the shift weight and has milled blocks instead of the original cable ends that Audi used.

I ordered it on Wednesday evening at around 5:30 and it arrived 9:50 Friday morning from the states not bad for $45 shipping. Total cost delivered was £127.17

First impressions are that the throw is reduced dramatically and now the distance between gears is quite a bit less than it was. It's slightly notchy at the moment but it does say it will take a week or so to bed in properly.

Overal I'm very impressed the quality is fantastic, the instrutions great if a little wordy, delivery as quick if not quicker than ordering a similar kit from in the uk and it costs about the same as ordering a kit from over here too.
Here are some pics

09022008366.jpg

09022008367.jpg

09022008368.jpg
Did you have 2nd-->3rd gear crunch problem (changing gear fast)? If yes, did you solved it with this kit? Thank you.