Dieselgate - the facts and what we can do

woollyjoe

Reaction score
Yes, another dieselgate post, but thought we could have one with facts about what is going on and what we can do about it since it now appears VAG are being investigated for more cheating beyond what they say.

SO...

EA189 engine.
11m cars WW with the defeat device / software.
1.6lt engines will require new injectors.
1.2 and 2.0lt engines just a software fix.
US cars require addition of AdBlue tank and injectors.
German Govt have insisted VAG compulsory recall all affected cars
UK Govt say it is VW's choice whether they do this in the UK.
  • VW passenger cars - 508,276
  • Audi - 393,450
  • SEAT - 76,773
  • Skoda - 131,569
  • VW commercial vehicles - 79,838
Expect reduction in performance since VW have confirmed MPG will remain the same.
UK VW boss Willis failed to answer questions relating to whether or not UK owners would be compensated when quizzed by MP's.

VW boss in US has confirmed a drop in performance once cars are fixed and are looking into compensation. If the fixes are compulsory, consumers won't have a say in whether to accept the fixes or not.

And NOW...

US authorities have been informed by VW that its 2016 diesel line-up contains an 'auxiliary emissions control device' that may help cars produce lower emissions during an official test. If found to be installed just for the emissions test, it is likely to be another form a cheating. TBH - sounds exactly like cheating before.

So I would expect this to keep going all the way to a change in the emissions test themselves. I suspect there will be consumers taking action to reject the cars - legally, they are entitled to do so as the car was mis sold first, then the recall will change their performance and handling.

Reactions: Jake 61, jimojameso and Nilz
It has now been confirmed that there will be a compulsory recall for all affected engines, including the 1.2m UK cars. This means we won't have a choice but to have the cars "fixed".

This will no doubt help group legal action in the UK with thousands of customer registering intent with law firms now.

It has now been confirmed that there will be a compulsory recall for all affected engines, including the 1.2m UK cars. This means we won't have a choice but to have the cars "fixed".
Out of interest do you have a link for that ?

Makes me HAPPY mines a 1.4 TDi 90bhp Audi A2, YEAH!

Interestingly the boffins are now claiming emissions along with global warming in general are encouraging plant growth, whatever next - eat more sprouts and die... Blimey, even the Cod are getting larger and more plentiful so we'd best be eating more fish and chips and mushy peas and curry sauce but no sausage... :scared2:

Reactions: jojo and desertstorm
Even if VW are forced to make this a compulsory recall you still have a choice as to whether you take the car in for the work to be done.
You won't be braking any laws and you won't be stopped by the police. Your car will still pass it's MOT.
The goverment are not wanting to get involved in policing this, the legal companies getting involved in this just see it as another PPI payday.
It won't just be people who currently own these cars, it will probably include the original owners and anybody who has owned one of the affected cars at some time and who may have sold it.

Reactions: 45bvtc
Plans are not agreed as to how the fixes will be done by bear in mind two points as i wanted this post to avoid speculation:

1. There will be no compensation or packge or whatever they call it if you don't have it fixed.

2. You will have issues with insurance.

From what VW were reporting, i think it may involve mobile teams travelling to you / your car.

i think it is complete speculation to say your car will not fail it's MOT since petrol engines do get emissions tested and diesels not currently (if you ignore the opacity test i think they call it) - you are assuming it won't change and there is lots of change afoot.

Why will you have issues with insurance ????. There are plenty of recalls worldwide for safety issues related to brakes, steering etc and you don't get quizzed as to whether these have been done on a car you go to insure.

Why will you have issues with insurance ????. There are plenty of recalls worldwide for safety issues related to brakes, steering etc and you don't get quizzed as to whether these have been done on a car you go to insure.

You are correct. You should not expect your insurance company to quiz you about this because they expect in good faith that you have done things like this. It can still invalidate your insurance when you make a claim. It's also stated on the link to the article by Gazwould

How can it invalidate your insurance ?, There are millions of people driving around in cars that don't have the latest level of software in the car ECU because they don't have the car serviced at a main dealer. Quite often the manufacturer will identify issues with driveability or reliability and make changes. But if you don't take it to a main dealer you are unlikely to get these

I thought the title of this thread was "Dieselgate -the facts and what we can do".
There is still a lot of non factual information and guesswork on here.
A quote from the link made by Gazwould,

Mr McLoughlin said: "Mr Flello, you make a point there and it is something I will reflect on. I think most people will want to ensure their cars are operating legally and correctly, but if it becomes a wider problem once we start he recall I will consider it."

The Government are not doing anything at the moment, they may in the future do something but it's still up in the air.

The 3.0 diesel V6s are now effected is not what I wanted to hear, since I purchased one last week, and it's ****** fantastic! Stuff the recall if it drops the power output!! lol

Also, dieselgate is about to become 'petrolgate' or 'fuelgate'. Even the petrol models are not meeting C02 levels apparently!

How can it invalidate your insurance ?, There are millions of people driving around in cars that don't have the latest level of software in the car ECU because they don't have the car serviced at a main dealer. Quite often the manufacturer will identify issues with driveability or reliability and make changes. But if you don't take it to a main dealer you are unlikely to get these

I thought the title of this thread was "Dieselgate -the facts and what we can do".
There is still a lot of non factual information and guesswork on here.
A quote from the link made by Gazwould,

Mr McLoughlin said: "Mr Flello, you make a point there and it is something I will reflect on. I think most people will want to ensure their cars are operating legally and correctly, but if it becomes a wider problem once we start he recall I will consider it."

The Government are not doing anything at the moment, they may in the future do something but it's still up in the air.

You are the only one adding "non factual information". This forum is not your insurance company. If you want to know why they might and are legally entitled to reject claims based upon not updating a legally binding recall on your car, then call your insurance company. This is in all T&C's for all insurance documents. This is fact, so please try not to argue with the people presenting the facts and call your insurance company.

If you don't get your car fixed i have mentioned two points that are worth considering factually. It is up to you what you do, but there is no point arguing on a forum about the facts presented and that they are not facts.

If you also want to argue that the government are not doing anything at the moment, apart from being wrong, you misunderstand our political system; The Transport Select Committee is part of our political system that start with these recomendations and this is how change is initiated. The UK government also stated days before enforcing a compulsory recall that they would leave the decision to make the recall compulsory up to VW before enforcing through the EU political system.

The 3.0 diesel V6s are now effected is not what I wanted to hear, since I purchased one last week, and it's ****** fantastic! Stuff the recall if it drops the power output!! lol

Also, dieselgate is about to become 'petrolgate' or 'fuelgate'. Even the petrol models are not meeting C02 levels apparently!
VW seem to be uncovering severe gamification of the environmental regulations... latest update on Guardian very good in defining the broader "irregularities".

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/nov/03/vw-c02-emmission-problems-800000-vehicles

Makes me HAPPY mines a 1.4 TDi 90bhp Audi A2, YEAH!

Interestingly the boffins are now claiming emissions along with global warming in general are encouraging plant growth, whatever next - eat more sprouts and die... Blimey, even the Cod are getting larger and more plentiful so we'd best be eating more fish and chips and mushy peas and curry sauce but no sausage... :scared2:

COLD NEWS: :cold: CNN yesterday... "Antarctica is gaining more ice than it has lost, according to a new study by NASA"

Maybe VW are ahead of the game after all...