Diesel fuel filter change 2.5 V6

owdgit

Reaction score
Does anyone know the best way to change the filter?
Every time I change mine the car is a real pig to start, it fires, runs for a few seconds then stops and wont re-start.
I have tried prefilling the filter with diesel, cracking the feed pipes to the injectors whilst turning the engine over but the only way I have found is to have another car alongside with some hefty jump leads and just keep turning it over and over for what seems like an age.
Its almost like it doesnt want to start.
Please help as I'm doing a service before next weekend.
Thanks

It sounds almost like your getting air into the system, through the fuel filter. When taking it off try plugging the fuel pipes with the existing clip or jubilee clip and once you've put the new filter on and connected up the pipes make sure the clips are on properly so no air can get into the system! leave the igniton on (but don't crank the car) for a couple of minutes and then try!

Good luck i say.

i changed mine and it started straight away, it self bled the air out of the system, you could here it coming out. I filled the filter with diesel upto the top

Blimey, first time since I got the car it started and kept running after changing the filter, did everyhting in the suggestions and something worked.
Thanks guys.

I am about to change mine on a 2005 Allroad , for those members who have already done the procedure , did you have to touch the bleed screw at all .
Thanks
Mike.

no didnt touch a thing just unplugged the pipes from the old and fitted to the new making sure the new filter was full of new diesel.

Be carefull when you take of the plastic valve with the R clip, it is very easy to break the pipe coonectors off.
Make sure you lever the valve from its base near the filter, DONT pull on the pipes or the pipe connectors or you will be sorry.

Thanks for the advice , I have ordered a new plasic valve aswell.

You dont need to change the valve unless it breaks.
It will only break if you happen to stress the pipe connections.
Just take the R clip out and pry the valve out from its base.

Thanks for the advice , I have ordered a new plasic valve aswell.

Good thing you did as the seals on the plastic tee valve will need replacing anyway so you wont experience poor starts due to air entering the system...