1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diesel Engine Noise

Discussion in 'Diesel forum' started by S4_dan, Jan 13, 2006.

1. S4_dan

S4_dan Fire up the Quattro!

Do ALL 2.5 V6 TDi engine sound loud and noisy??

Mine is noisy for 5mins then quietens but still sounds loud(ish) compared to wife 1.9TDi Golf??

The noise was there BEFORE & AFTER a full engine rebuild.

I was in France not so long ago, and thought i heard some one starting my car! When i turned and looked, it was an A6 Avant 2.5 V6.....a German registered vehicle...So with that I'm hoping the noise levels ARE normal.

It does not sound as if something is rattling, just very loud typical diesel noise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
  2. Nessy

Nessy VW + Audi mad

My next-door neighbour has a 2002 Passat V6 TDi and it sounds like a right old tractor when he starts it up first thing and pulls out of his drive... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif ..definitely a lot noisier than my car.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
  3. Jason

Jason Member

Hi Tdi Dan

Certain A6 V6tdi I think Pre 2000 (Ours for example and I think certain A3's have this problem with uneven tick over)) have a problem with their engine management system making them noisy and slightly rough to drive with the long term solution being to go to Audi give them loads of money and get them to reprogrammed the ECU.
    Short term solution is to wait a minute after having run the car or from cold,disconnect the battery for about a minute,reconnect and the ECU should have reinstalled all running settings from default.
    Over time it gets noisy again as the various sensors send info to the ECU which as the engine management programme is dickey advances the timing a little and hence the noise.

All diesel Audi's are very noisy from cold for a few minutes until their self ajusting over head cam jobby system gets well oiled and settled!
  4. owdgit

owdgit Member

Like Jason said, they all seem to do it.
  5. mikeA2B

mikeA2B Member

Yup I agree, from the outside ny 2.5 has a very noisy tickover, even with all the soundproofing!
  6. mikeA2B

mikeA2B Member

will resettng any faults with vag-com help?
  7. S4_dan

S4_dan Fire up the Quattro!

Hi,

Thanks for your responses.

Audi have confirmed that the AKN was VASTLYmused in the PASSATS, so hence your neighbours AUDI 'Tractor' NESSY.

Inside the car its quite, unitl i open the window or stand outside.

With disconnecting the battery, how long can it be off before the radio will reset??

I dont have the code for it as AUDI unlocked it for me and didnt give me new code!!!!!!
  8. Jason

Jason Member

I've had ours disconnected numerous times for different reasons and have never been invited to put the radio code in to get it to work again.