1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

******, didn't see the water mark on the paintwork

jesters3 Jul 28, 2003

1. jesters3

jesters3 Active Member VCDS Map User

Morning All,

Did the car at the weekend, the cleanse, the polish and the Quik Detailer. Gave the car a good clean, put on the old Scratch X on the bonnet and bumper, gave it a good buff and then applied Quik Detailer all over to finish her off.

Just had a ciggie whilst looking at the cr and sonething caught my eye, on closer inspection a can see water drop marks all over the bonnet and the roof!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Gave it an experimental rub with the finger and nothing, it seems that I have not chammied well and then coated it with Scratch X so that the mark is 'under' the polish and now I can't get it out!!! If you are a little way away you don't notice it, but in the right light, you can see them all peppered over the bonnet and roof.

Any ideas how I can get them off? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif I reckon the problem was washing the car in the sun yesterdy and not chammy it off quick enough and so let it dry to leave a mark. Won't be doing that again!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

2. amoffat

amoffat Member

Use the stage 1 of the 3 stages. Other option is the Meguiars paint restorer.

When you do your car, the Quik Detailer is only really needed bewteen washes. I did two stages on Saturday, the polish (stage 2) and then the wax (stage 3). There is no need to apply the Quik Detailer after that. I sunday I drove down to Billing and the car was a little dusty etc. The Quik detailer was then used to bring it bring it back to its clean shiney state!

3. Gren

Gren New Member

Happens to me all the time. Water is so hard around our way that if it drips from the wing mirrors after washing I have to polish the marks out!

Agree with Moff, try stage 1 (or SRP etc) or for a more gentle approach a clay bar.

Gren

4. jesters3

Hmmm, may have to give that a go. Just waiting till I get paid then I can send my order over to C'A'S.

Clay Bar, what's that?

Cheers

5. clay bars are pretty much just that - a bar of clay that you just rub over the paintwork with the aid of a lubricant.

It'll pull off all sorts of debris, bug bits, tar spots, marks left by bird S**T, water marks etc etc and leaves the paint SO smoothe. Highy recommend getting one.

Just checked and clean and shiney John does a Meguiars one, (i know how much you love your meguiars Jester) the Zymol one is about 60 quid i think. I use the swissol one - about 30 quid for the paint rubber kit which includes 'quick finish' as the lubricant which you also use as a quick detailer.

http://www.swissol.com/E/GB/Produkte_Lack2.htm

6. jesters3

Nice one, ta BF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

The claybar sounds like a must have, better have then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes I am a bit partial to the old Meguair's range /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/heart.gif You've got to admit it is impressive stuff.

Hmmm, looks like another addition to the growing list /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif