1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did my drain grommets today

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by S4_dan, Nov 2, 2013.

1. S4_dan

S4_dan Fire up the Quattro! VCDS Map User

[Nov 2, 2013]
    Also while faffing about with the EGR, I decided to remove the battery and check the drain grommets had been removed especially after it was in QRSport just before I bought it for water ingress. To my surprise, the bungs were still in situ.

[​IMG]

13mm ratchet spanner fits perfectly to remove these nuts quickly
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bung removed under battery tray
    [​IMG]

I couldn't fully remove this bung as there is a pipe running through it? Anyway, I manage to slide it up the pipe and wedge it place so it's no longer blocking the hole. You can just make it out in the pic.
    [​IMG]

Although there was no water present when I removed the battery and the bungs were fairly clear & clear, probably been cleaned out by QRS recently.

Along with the ECU box trapped wire I sorted couple of weeks ago, hopefully that will spell the end of any water ingress!

Dan
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 28, 2014]

3. glenandem

glenandem Member

[Nov 2, 2013]
    How hard I'd it to get battery out pal, I got a battery to fit when I can be bothered and just wondered as there's an Allen bolt isn't there down the back?
  4. Paul_TDi

Paul_TDi Member

[Nov 2, 2013]
    Whoops, think I removed the wrong one then.

I couldn't be bothered to remove the battery so pushed out that big oval one. Was the only one I could see as it was getting dark, had the desired effect.
  5. S4_dan

S4_dan Fire up the Quattro! VCDS Map User

[Nov 2, 2013]
    It was a bit tricky but I used a 6mm allen key on a socket with an extension bar, 3/8ths. Hardest part was getting the bolt started when refitting it. Ended up using a long thin flat head screwdriver (big enough to fit in allen bolt and turn it) to get the bolt started. When I tried with the socket allen key it was wrong angle. I also had to unclip the ECU wire out of the way for access too.

I noticed the large oval bung too but then spotted the rubber drain grommet under the plate. Not sure where that big oval hole leads to......

Dan