Did I just experience my first DPF Regen?

The Governor

Reaction score
I just did the short school run, and as I pulled up at home noticed the car was idling at 1000 rpm instead of its usual 800rpm and after switching off the ignition I noticed the radiator fan continued running for about 5 minutes or so.

Most of my driving is around the 30 mile or so mark, as I commute a bit when I go to work. This is broken up by the one or two days when I work at home when I do the short school run, I was a bit surprised it needed to do a regen due to the car doing a good few long runs per week.

I've only had it a month, so I guess before I got it, it might have been doing short runs... if it was a regen, should I have expected a dashboard light or are there two types of DPF Regen?

You should feel a slight shudder too from the car.

Also it will feel faster as the ecu injects more diesel to clear the filter.

I think you have experienced passive regen where the car does it itself and the light only appears when it can't do it for a number of reasons.

I've had the dpf light on 4 times within the past month and I do 100 motorway miles a day.

My car has only done 36k :(

Reactions: az786
Mine's only done 3k! Although only 1000 of those are my miles,. Another odd comparison to the E90 I had before, I don't think it ever did a regen passive or otherwise on the 40,000 that I had it for... with exactly the same usage profile.

On mine, the engine idles about 5mm higher than usual and you can hear it building up pressure in the exhaust to burn it off. Ive only ever had the dpf light come on once in 30k and that was when i was driving 2 miles a day. If you go on dual carriage ways or a motorway weekly or more then you should hardly ever see the light all you should get is the odd re-gen