Help Please Dial back lights

Jay_87

Reaction score
Morning folks. Noticed a small problem on my B8.5 where the back lights for the temp gauge can be a bit intermittent. Some days its fine, others it wont illuminate. Any one experienced this and if so whats the cure?

Pic below

Untitled by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

I noticed exactly the same problem a couple of weeks ago, but mine also affects the 2,3,4 LEDs on the rev counter as well as temp gauge.

At first I thought it may have been a dodgy connector, so tried to push various points of the dash in, but after some research it appears like a fault between the LEDs and the circuit board - they start to come away and loose connectivity.

There are two solutions, as far as I can tell -

1) Buy a used (or new) dashboard, but you need to pay Audi to code it to your car (because of mileage tampering). Whether someone on here can / will do it cheaper I don't know, but people were talking of very expensive fixes through Audi themselves (shock!)

2) There guys were recommended: https://cartronix.co.uk/product/audi-a4-full-colour-lcd-replacement-repair/

They will repair your dash, and include a lifetime warranty. I know the page above is talking about the LCD screen repair, but from what I've read people have also used them to repair the dash lights as well.

Oddly, mine has been behaving itself recently so I've not done anything about it, but it will only get worse and when it does I'll go for option 2. It's a bit of hassle driving to them but at least I know there is a lifetime warranty included.

Hope that helps :)

Ok well The car has warranty on it, I've only just picked it up so I'l get in touch with Sytner and get them to have a look at it.

Happened @Darren92 on his B8.5 2015 A4.

Belfast audi replaces the instrument cluster. He can advise

Reactions: Darren92 and Jay_87
Thanks, Ive contacted Sytner to let them know about the problem, just waiting for a response.

The LEDs on my speedo from about 10-50mph flicker or don't light up sometimes. Then it'll be fine so ages. I generally find its when the car is first started and by the end of a journey they are working fine.

Happened @Darren92 on his B8.5 2015 A4.

Belfast audi replaces the instrument cluster. He can advise

Indeed, a replacement cluster was the cure! Please make sure if they do replace it that they code ALL keys to the vehicle, Belfast didn't.

Reactions: ruairi83
Indeed, a replacement cluster was the cure! Please make sure if they do replace it that they code ALL keys to the vehicle, Belfast didn't.

Thanks for the replies/advice guys, I'l get back on to Sytner today to get this sorted.