Diagnosis

Ryan s3

Reaction score
My audi has a Ltd of issues recently.
Burning oil and blue smoke from the exhaust.
I booked it in for possible replacement of valve stem oil seals but the garage has said it's down to the breather system being clogged up and the turbo is filling up with oil and the engine can not breathe ?
Has anybody had similar issues as the garage has said it's very common on the 1.8 turbo engine.
He has also found a split in the main intake pipe causing power loss.
Do u think he is on to the probable issue ?
Thanks

I would personally, segregate breather system from intake, into a can/bottle so you can see volume of "breathing". I dont see them clog but the pipes do crack/split/rot on the pcv system..
clean out your oily pipes, and with isolated breather into bottle monitor the status. If blue smokey (combusted oil) and charge pipes clean its internal engine. Exhaust valve guides common to wear, stem seals etc

After I bought my car, I checked all the hoses and breather pipes and found the breather system was clogged at the crankcase breather elbow and the cam cover outlet to hockey puck valve with that nasty white mayo crap (no noticeable symptoms though) so I ripped all the PCV system out and fitted a catch can. Just put it down to short journeys and poor maintenance in its previous life

Steve

My audi has a Ltd of issues recently.
Burning oil and blue smoke from the exhaust.
I booked it in for possible replacement of valve stem oil seals but the garage has said it's down to the breather system being clogged up and the turbo is filling up with oil and the engine can not breathe ?
Has anybody had similar issues as the garage has said it's very common on the 1.8 turbo engine.
He has also found a split in the main intake pipe causing power loss.
Do u think he is on to the probable issue ?
Thanks
I've got blue smoke coming out of the exhaust of my s3 at the moment it only happens when coasting in gear for a while then rev it and blue smoke appears the guy I use said it could be breather pipes but I'm worried it could be rings is yours sorted now?

Sounds a little different to mine.
I am having a whole new set of breather pipes fitted on Friday and have since found a split on the main intake pipe which also getting changed.
My car only tends to puff a blue smoke on startup really and then clears.
No worse if been left over night or just been on a run.

Just an update.
Picked up car today, minimal smoke and drives like a different car.
Very very happy.