1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diagnosing which wheel bearing is dying...

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by SiGainey, Sep 26, 2011.

1. SiGainey

SiGainey Member

The S3's poorly lol! Got a whining drone from one of the wheels and a squeak once per tyre rotation when doing between 5 and 20 mph... I've had the wheels up and spun them and there's no play in any and I can just hear the rear pads grinding in the sticky calipers lol. What's the best way of diagnosing which bearing is dying?
  2. liquids3

liquids3 Member

Wel id say its probably the fact that your rear brakes are grinding,that would cause that noise!
  3. a3Nate

a3Nate Member

as above! have you tried listening whilst cornering to see whether the noise worsens or reduces depending on which way vehicle weight is shifted?? not scientific but may narrow it down....usually ive just had both fixed if i cant find evidence to suggest recent replacements by previous keepers that way i know both are good.
  4. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

Well one of my rear ones has finally gone, started squeaking 2 week ago, now its scraping and grinding, sounds shocking lol.
  5. 16Klappe

16Klappe Princess Slayer

The way to diagnose a wheel bearing isn't just to spin them, hold the wheels at 2:40 and then 11:20 and push and pull them back and forth. The noise you get is when the bearing gets worn and moves up and down the taper bearing face. Just suspended and spinning they probably won't sound too knackered.

Does the noise go away when going round a corner? If so left or right hand corner?
  6. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

Pretty sure mine goes away when doing right hand corners, ill double check tomorrow though.
  7. SiGainey

SiGainey Member

Do we have taper bearings? I thought that they were cartridge units so won't wear in the same way to give the play of a taper bearing?
  8. 16Klappe

16Klappe Princess Slayer

They are cartridge yes, sorry I didn't explain that very well did I.

The cages around the bearings are what keep them tight, as they were the bearings move up and down in them.
  9. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

There is very rarely any play in a knackered roller bearing due to the way they're clamped together.

The one i've just removed from the front of the A4 sounds like theres gravel inside when your turning it by hand, and howled when driving along, yet exhibits no play whatsoever.

I identified mine by spinning the wheels, you need to give it a really hard spin though to hear the bearing over the brake pads as you've described.
  10. SiGainey

SiGainey Member

OK, cheers. Think i'll remove the pads and give em another spin :)