1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

detailing 'the tank'

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by easytease, May 3, 2007.

1. easytease

easytease cheesypeas

[May 3, 2007]
    So my poor old tank needs a decent treatment. I am considering a portercable at the end of the month (the sonus package from autopia i guess).
    Last week i clayed her (with meguiers clay kit) washing before and after with goldclass shampoo, the followed with the meguiers stage 2 and then gold clearcoat wax.
    I know the meguiers stuff is pretty 'mainstream' stuff, but the results it gives over turtle wax (for example) is impressive. I do, however, still have a lot of swirls and webbing, as well as a few deeper scratches...
    heres a few (bad) pics to give you an idea olf the colour, and the swirling on the roof...
    http://bobbycock.com/clayed07/

So, what do you recommend? realistically i dont want to spend more then about £50~ for some decent cleaners/polish sealer and wax. I already have the microfibre cloths etc. This is just paintwork to worry about at present, wheels need a refurb so they can wait.

thanks in advance peeps.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. easytease

easytease cheesypeas

[May 6, 2007]
    any ideas?
  4. WX51TXR

WX51TXR Polished Bliss

[May 9, 2007]
    Wow, tight budget for all those steps, but here's an idea. Working by PC, I would firstly go with Menzerna RD3.02 Intensive Polish using a light cut pad. This will cost £16.85. I would then go with Menzerna 85RD Final Finish using a polishing pad. This will cost you £14.95. Finally, I would go with Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection, which will seal the paint and give a wet and glossy look that will really suit the colour of the car. This will cost you £21.95. Just a few quid over budget, but if you though the Meguiars gear was good then these products will blow you away. :)
  5. easytease

easytease cheesypeas

[May 9, 2007]
    I'll extend the budget if needs be, i want to utalise the products i already have, just find a decent polish or something to work out the swirls and spiderwebs. then a decent wax to bring up the metalic a lot more.

Thanks for the suggestions,wx. I assume these really need PC'd on to get the best resaults? what kinda speeds am i looking to use?
  6. WX51TXR

WX51TXR Polished Bliss

[May 10, 2007]
    Aye, both Menzerna polishes mentioned above need to be machine applied, using light to moderate pressure at speeds 4-5 (after being spread at speed 1). If you want to try to work by hand, the standard version of Menzerna Intensive Polish applied using the white side of a German Pad is the best way to go, but be aware that you won't achieve full correction working by hand. :)
  7. easytease

easytease cheesypeas

[May 10, 2007]
    time to order a PC then! wheres best/cheapest to get one?
  8. Clark@Polishedbliss

Clark@Polishedbliss Professional Detailer

9. easytease

easytease cheesypeas

[May 15, 2007]
    thanks, already ordered with a 15% discount code from them :D

then ill be raiding the PB store soon for some supplies
  10. easytease

easytease cheesypeas

[May 18, 2007]
    seeing as the Menzerna RD3.02 Intensive Polish is out of stock pretty much world wide. can you suggest an alternative please. Looking to place an order today/monday of polish, sealant, pads :)
  11. WX51TXR

WX51TXR Polished Bliss

[May 18, 2007]
    Sadly, very little else comes close, but looking farther afield, Chemical Guys Diamond Cut Polishes are okay, and 3M Perfect-It Machine Polish is also one to check out (and probably easily available from your local bodyshop supplier). :)
  12. easytease

easytease cheesypeas

[May 18, 2007]
    the PO85RD3.02 no good then?
  13. easytease

easytease cheesypeas

[May 25, 2007]
    Still not got any in stock :( ive got money burning holes in my pocket. Any one want to suggest an alternative bunch of products that are instock in the UK right now.