detailing advice? on a budget! (new guy!)

a3elliott

Reaction score
hey guys, new on here so be gentle!
i have just bought a black 2004 a3, 1.6 attraction,... i'll start a build thread in the next day or two,...parts ordered and hope to have it looking good soon!
at the minute i want to give it a good detail, ive only ever used autoglym SRP and wax.
can someone suggest some products to get, dont wanna spend crazy money either!
i read some threads on here and this is what i was thinking,.
clay bar
megs polish
Poorboys blackhole
dodo juice purple haze
poorboys wheel sealant
megs tyre gel
your opinions would really be appreciated lads and ladies,... by the looks of this forum you know how to clean cars!

As always this depends on budget. The list you've reeled off there is pretty good. Different people have their favourites, but you just need to try a few products and find the right ones for you. What colour is your car? Just read through a guide or 2 on here and make sure you follow a proper washing method. And make sure you visit juicy detailings section. Jen does a lot of package deals for beginners which might help keep the cost down. One thing I would recommend is a good pre wash, something like citrus power, or if your budget will stretch and your not under a hosepipe ban, a snow foam lance. They do a great job, and they're great fun. And when you're done get some pics up.

I'd guess (like mine) a 2004 black car will need a full machine Polish/ paint correction.

You'll get it shiny by hand, but black is terrible for swirls etc.

I'm currently doing mine.
Wet sanding scratches with 1200, 2000, 3000, 4000 all over, then 3M fast cut, extra fine and ultrafina.

After that, I'll finally get to Polish it! I use Zaino stuff, which isn't cheap, but it's what I've settled on over the years.

The first place to start is to get yourself a decent wash kit..if you do this stage correct then it minimise any further damage to the car.

As mentioned depending on your budget and if you have a pressure washer the snow foam and lance is a great price of kit for a pre-wash which loosens dirt on the vehicle as a touchless wash. Once rinsed off you wash using a decent shampoo and 2 buckets containing grit guards and a lambswool wash mitt or a detailing sponge (not the 50p yellow ones either).

This explains more about the 2 bucket method to save me writing it out all again:

Car Washing | Articles

Rinse off and dry using a drying towel, but lay flat and pat rather than dragging across as this can cause further damage to the paint work.

The ideal next stages are decontamination which includes claying and environmental fallout (eg. tar and iron particle removal), wash again afterwards to remove all residue.

Polishing - if your working by hand then most will opt for products that can mask swirls and scratches as it can be near impossible to remove by hand. The down side is that you have to repeat this every few months as the fillers gradually come out with your maintenace washing. The like of Poor Boys Blackhole and Chemical Guys Glossworkz Glaze are great for this purpose.

Waxing or sealing is your LSP or last stage protection. This is a lens to the preparation that you have put in on the paintwork and magnifies what is below, therefore preparation is key! Dodo Juice Purple Haze is an excellent choice on black.

Dont forget as well as your tyres you'll need wheel cleaner to remove caked on brake dust and then seal them to help with cleaning the next time around.

If you need any help you know where to find me :salute: