Detailed - Audi S3 Quattro

Mr.G

Reaction score
Hi all.

Many of you have seen my car in the 8L forum section many times. I kind of have an OCD with cleaning it. Lol.

I thought i'd post up my car here for members to see. I've put many many hours into the car, and while it still isn't 100% perfect in my eyes it's almost there.

Some pictures of last night after i applied Victoria Concourse Wax with my hands.

Thanks for looking and i'll appreciate any comments or advice anyone has for me.

Finally got the image hosting sorted out, please tell me you can see the pictures! Or i'll loose my marbles!

G

IMG_1276.JPG

IMG_1278.JPG

Thanks for taking the time to look.

G

Looks fantastic, great work, what is your cleaning / polishing / waxing
regime and what products do you use?

This is a shot (lucky one at that) that i managed to take while trying to focus the camera on the car. The marks are from my hands rubbing the wax on.

I started detailing the car the Saturday before Christmas, blowing over £200 on various products which included sonus SFX1, 2 & 3 polishing pads, a Menzerna 250ml polishing sample kit, collinte waxes (476s and 915) and lime prime light.

I washed and then clayed the car to remove any contaminents/dirt etc. Then washed the car again. I tried to use Sonus SFX1 pad on my Rotary polisher with Menzerna (came in the sample kit) Powergloss but found the pad jumping all over the place. So settled after a few attempts on SFX2 and Powergloss the SFX2 pad is a little softer and therefore wasn't so jumpy.

It was the first time i'd used the rotary so i was very cautious and took my time. I then used Menzerna Final Finish (again came in the smaple kit) 85.RD to bring a nice shine and further remedy the swirls that were in the paint. I managed to get a fairly good result and was happy with what i'd achieved.

I then went over the whole car twice with lime prime light to remove any residue of oils and polishes from the paintwork.

Sealed in by a choice of collinite 915. This wax didn't last that long in the winter months so i decided that i'd add another coat of collinte 476s over the top a few weeks later. Continued this week by week adding layers of wax. I also used Zaino Z8 to give it the nice sheen and extra "bling".

Then yesterday having ordered my Victoria Concours Red Wax a few days before, found myself applying the wax at 6pm in my garage onto the car with my bare hands (no applicator pads) which i thought "i must be going mad" at this time of night, with wax smoothing it on the car with my hands!!! Really i have well and truely bitten the Detailing bug.

I topped Victoria off again with a light spritz of Zaino z8. You will not believe the sheeting and water repellancy of the paintwork. I'm over the moon with what i achieved with the help of others. Although i did all the work you see by sitting in from of my computer on forums just like this one and researching all about what i had to do.

I learned everything from a chap called Tim and Dave KG which i'd spent many hours talking to before hand. They are both known on detailingworld.com.

Thanks for all the comments. Appreciate them all. :)

G

Thats some dedication from you. I will order myself some Vic wax in the next few weeks also.

I have only managed to use collys 3-4 times the last year for friends cars. But definatly interested in trying this. I have an unopened tin of Supernatural (xmas pressie from brother)

So really want to try that, but I drive a Silver A3 :)

I have just ordered some facelift front lights so will do the DIY job on this first before ordering the wax and applying it like yourself.

Fantastic photos and I will post shots of mine when I get round to doing it.

Awesome work - how did you find using the rotary? I use a dual action myself... don't trust myself lol

Thanks all.

The rotary was easy to use but at first it was kinda weird as it wants to wander off by itself. I'm not a DIY enthusiast either so using power tools was completely new to me.

Dani - PM me for a detail.

G

really want to do this and have done for a while.....my only reservation is the lack of paint depth gauge..... how did you fair without one G

I used one.

I've a friend with one and can ask him to check any cars that need be before hand.

I never do things if i can't do them thoroughly. Mine was checked twice. Before and after.

G

ah right, i went around to jimmehs a few weeks back and checked mine over..... glad to find its never (theoretically ) had any paintwork done.... definately would want to see the results after though

did you find it had reduced by much?

A few microns at most. Going to have it checked again on friday as i'm wanting to detail it again.

I know i know.....it's looking nice, but it's not 100% there are swirls starting to appear yet again, bad wash method i think. You have to be sooooo careful when washing after it's been detailed.

G

Hardest part of proper car care - safe washing. Using foam to pre-wash and blown air to dry off makes a substantial difference; the less you touch the paint and move materials around on it, the less damage will be done. With practice, it is perfectly reasonable to expect to go 12-24 months between machine polishing sessions and still maintain a swirl free finish. It takes a lot of care and patience mind!

Yea i've yet to get snow foam and a gun. I have a leaf blower. I use TBM and will be machining car again in april to rid the car of swirls that i can tell are there.

I also think that i'm washing the car to much to keep that fresh look, sometimes as much as 3 times per week lol.

G

righty well my foam gun is landing this week..... had my first successful week last wkend with my autobrite very cherry wheel cleaner which hardly needs any wheel cleaning at all!! just need to get rid of my swirls now...cheers for your help guys

great work Mr G. i remember having that convo with you on detailing world that weekend before xmas. car looks cracking mate.

I put around 10 hours (give or take a few) a day for 4 days, or there abouts. Only the outside was done in the time taken. Professionals would have it cracked at two days. I'm a novice though so hence me taking my time.

Thanks for the comments. Vics is very good, i like it for dark coloured cars. Thanks to Jimmy who got me onto it in the first place.

G