Dest's S2 Avant

dest

Reaction score
Thought Id get some pics posted, this is the 2nd one Ive owned, with an S4 inbetween.

This is one of the last ones ever made, on a rare N reg.
It also has leather, which was a rare option, and even rarer to have a sun roof and air con.
Finally, its a rare colour too! (Ruby red)

Spec/Mods

S2forum remap (~280bhp)
Cat back Milltek (soon to have gutted cats)
TT225 front calipers with UrS6 discs
RS2 shocks with H&R springs
Silver Roose boost hoses
18" deep dish B5 RS4 replicas

det16.jpg

det21.jpg

det18.jpg

det17.jpg

det22.jpg

det26.jpg

det25.jpg

The grill rings have now been blacked out too:

AIP1.jpg

Absolutely stunning - a real credit to you Mr Dest!!

:hubbahubba:

Cheers peeps :)
I keep thinking about swapping it for an S3....I cant decide! :aggressive:

I wouldnt say its an S2 is THAT good a quality compared to plenty of other cars out there. Certianly nothing special!

I wouldnt say its an S2 is THAT good a quality compared to plenty of other cars out there. Certianly nothing special!
The RS2 is!:icon_thumright:
Far superior to the RS4 anyway, I'm an engineer so I have a bit of a bias I tend to look at components and longevity.
But I will say the sterios are a lot better in the later stuff.
If I were you I would keep what looks like a special S2 and save my pennies for the S3 (they are dropping).
Good luck and I hope you find your solution to what can sometimes be a tricky problem and remember you're a long time dead.
Cheers
T
ps I've had 62 cars :think:

You cant say an RS2 is better quality than an S2, its the same ****** car LMAO!
Obviously some engine components, seats, wheels bumpers and brakes are different, but overall the RS2 is not built to any higher quality than an S2?!

You cant say an RS2 is better quality than an S2, its the same ****** car LMAO!
Obviously some engine components, seats, wheels bumpers and brakes are different, but overall the RS2 is not built to any higher quality than an S2?!
Same car ?
http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=161&i=18810
Are you sure?
Which factory did they come from?
Please read the history the quality difference was picked up on almost all the original road tests (I have them).
Well if you do decide to get rid of your S2 please let me know it looks a beut.:icon_thumright:
Cheers
T

No where in that link does it say its built any different from an Audi 80!
It is an Audi 80 Avant with better bits bolted on, in the same way than an S2 Avant is too.
As for mine, make me an offer...

Good point it doesn't in that report but the original road tests do.
Maybe its motoring press (and myself) assuming that because they were built by Porsche and they had a different build type (hence the extra crash tests and the fact the reg doc doesn't mention 80 but has a Porsche build number) that they were bolted together better?
I wish I could show you some of the original articles that came with the car, but I'm a computer twot.(As close as I can get)
http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=Downloads&req=viewsdownload&sid=11
The 5 th one down is an interesting read, maybe thats me wrong again but I will stick to the build quality of the RS2 is better than the later Audis, having gone from an RS4 B5 to the RS2 i did have a direct comparason, this is why I said about the S3 swap!
Only trying to help!:thumbsup:
Good luck
T
ps How much?

It doesnt matter which factory does the bolts up, its still the same car!
Ive had later Audis too, including a B5 S4.
I recently turned down 4k for mine, but would probably 4.5

Fair enough, I just prefer the older ones (maybe its my age).
I'll think about yours are you going to the PH Sunday Service we could compare?
Bit strapped at the mo as I maybe buying a brewery! Also the Puffing Devil is in demand from beeb and sky so I need to count my pennies, but if I have some left I may have a looksee.
Cheers
T

^I like the older ones too (I'm 31). These oldies were built to last, over-engineered and built with quality components.

My impression of the new gear is it's basically disposable. Facelifted every now and again and crammed with technology so it feels like a premium product to Joe Public. When it's 5 years old and wracked with electrical faults and loose trim and dead DSG's, nobody's going to care because it's long since been traded in against the latest, newest-looking thing to impress the neighbours with.

*sweeping generalisation I know. Tell me I'm completely wrong though?*

I'd go as far as to say, that elderly S2, with a little care, will outlast a much younger S3.

Last edited:
^I like the older ones too (I'm 31). These oldies were built to last, over-engineered and built with quality components.

My impression of the new gear is it's basically disposable. Facelifted every now and again and crammed with technology so it feels like a premium product to Joe Public. When it's 5 years old and wracked with electrical faults and loose trim and dead DSG's, nobody's going to care because it's long since been traded in against the latest, newest-looking thing to impress the neighbours with.

*sweeping generalisation I know. Tell me I'm completely wrong though?*

I'd go as far as to say, that elderly S2, with a little care, will outlast a much younger S3.

I agree (well at least thats 2 of us) I've never owned an S so I'm not an expert but the RS2 is better built than the RS4 I had (its' more fun as well).
Watch the RS4 lot have a go at me now, I would have both but I'm a bit stretched at the moment.
But an S2 Hmm maybe!
I seem to be good at dropping myself in the doo doo at present, thats got to be my age (40+).
Cheers
T