1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deep scratches, deep misery, new car?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Halgernon, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Halgernon

Halgernon New Member

Hi all - not posted for a while, but thought I'd update you on what happens at Bluewater shopping centre in Kent.

I went there last weekend for a day out with the family, and returned back to the car to find some G1T had keyed the bonnet of my car, about four times, right across. There is a definite ridge to each scratch and they go pretty much down to the base coat.

Normally, you'd think that I had cut someone up on the way in to the site, or had parked badly or something, but with the kids in the car I don't drive like a nutter at all, and I can honestly say I was careful and considerate with the driving.

The next painful moment is when you go in and report the event to security. They basically pass you off to the Kent police, who ring you up a couple of times to say they'll go through the CCTV footage. But guess what... that's right - no CCTV in ANY car park at Bluewater! So once again I am left with a bad taste in the mouth.

So, I went off to the dealer to see what a repair to the bonnet would be. £380 was the best I heard, subject to the sprayer looking at it. I reckon I could have got it cheaper if I shopped around, but there's something safe with using the Audi dealership to place the work - expensive as it might be.

All in all, not a good situation to be in. However, since I am in a PCP deal at the moment, I asked about changing the car for an SE model (instead of the sport model I currently have). They offered an ex-demonstrator 2.0Tdi with leather, Bose, parking, interior lights, storage, wood inlay, just about everything, 10k on the clock on an 05/05... for a deposit of £500.

Keeps the monthly payments the same (or close enough) - in short - spend the money on getting my current car back to what it was, or add a little bit more and get a whole new car.

Hmmm... did the nasty little paint scratching B*stard just do me a favour?
  2. stevethejambo

stevethejambo Member

£380 seems quite reasonable for a bonnet repair I would say. Especially from the main dealer!
  3. Halgernon

Halgernon New Member

Really? I thought it was a bit pricey, personally. But then again I haven't ever needed to get anything repainted before.

Either way, the car needed a full valet (about £100 all in) and with the cost of the re-spray I decided it was time to change the car - a bit earlier than I would normally have done.

Staying with A3, 2.0Tdi, but moving to SE rather than Sport version. I hope it will give the same performance, but a smoother ride... and of course there are all those new gadgets to play with!

The car will be ready in the middle of the week, apparently... :)
  4. stevethejambo

stevethejambo Member

Thats me just going from my experience of working in a bodyshop. I dont actually estimate, but a lot of bonnet repairs come in around that price, as you have to paint the whole bonnet and it will use a reasonable amount of paint materials. We are an independent as well, and its all computer generated times so I reckon the price is not too bad. Maybe Im wrong though. Ill try and have a look at some bonnet estimates when I go in tomorrow. Im sure we did an A3 not that long ago with similar damage to your own.