Decreasing MPG after 1st service - coincidence, right?

Keef

Reaction score
I am all too familiar with Audi’s published MPG figures and real world actual figures.
So i have been using the ‘road trip’ app to check my MPG since getting my car.
After 14k miles or so i was pleasantly surprised by the increasing MPG, regularly seeing between 37-39 MPG on a full tank.
However i had the 1st service (inspection & oil) done recently and since then my MPG has been steadily declining back down
to 33-34 a tank.
My journeys or driving style hasn’t change so i can’t explain the decrease.
I’m not suggesting the service is responsible, but the economy is definitely changing for the worst.

Don’t suppose anyone else has noticed a difference following a service??

Cheers
Keef

Colder weather maybe? Ive noticed a slight decrease in MPG in my older TDi and put it down to the weather, surely your driving style changes as the road freezes right? Less use of the higher gears but same journeys.

Either that or maybe they put the wrong oils/didnt replace filters etc? My car ran a lot better when I changed the filters.

Thanks, fair point about the temperature and recent weather/ driving conditions.
But my service was at the beginning of November and I've filled up
quite a few times since. It's just seems odd that's all.

How was the fuel economy straight after the service? I assume your tracking your average per tank as you mention in your post - I take it the average after the service was closer to you pre-service average?

Just wondering if the car 'learns' how you drive and adjusts the fuelling to suit over time; then at the service these parameters get reset. My Focus ST does this and after every service the car economy went down but the pull from the engine was much improved. Didn't take long for the mpg to go back up though. No idea if this is the case for the Audi ECU though.

Just a thought...