decreasing lag before 3000rpm

gburgess

Reaction score
Chip it and get more torque at low revs!!!

Mine pulls like stink from 2000 rpm since having it chipped. You'll be left smiling after every journey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

Ahh but Rob yours is always going to have less lag than an S3, due to the smaller turbo that the A3 has.

I don't think chipping of an S3 is going to reduce lag below 3000rpm. (perhaps the chipped guys can comment)

But what it will do is give you more torque at a given point in the rev range. But there's always going to be a significant difference between the torque at 2000 and 3000. So the car is always going to feel laggy - its just a fact of life.

In some cases, that turbo surge of torque that comes in at 3000rpm on a standard car, is pushed slightly further up the rev range on a chipped car - this would increase the feeling of lag.

AL

cheers for the comments, i guess that makes sense, my last car was the a3 1.8T, so thats what i am comparing to.
I suppose i just got to get used to driving the new beast, and boy when it does get to 3000 it goes.

Would an induction kit increase performance at all, or just make it loud.

Any one done this mod, comments?

I get loads of lag in 1st gear. Pulling out on roundabouts is a little dodge. Lags for a second or two then shoots off... I love it. (apart from the lag)

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:
Ahh but Rob yours is always going to have less lag than an S3, due to the smaller turbo that the A3 has.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point Al - I completely forgot about turbo differences. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Mine is a hybrid KK03 though with some K04 internals.

Just increase the engine rev's a bit more than usual before pulling off and feather the clutch a bit, sorts out the lag !

Rob,

ahhhh, your's must be a later model A3 then. I think the K03 which you have is commonly referred to as the K03S. Still not as much lag as K04 though.

S3baBee,

I came from an A3 1.8T too, and setting off from junctions, and getting around the lag takes some getting used to. The best way is to give the S3 more revs, about 2000rpm from a junction. Otherwise, as you let your clutch out, it bogs down, and you are waiting for the turbo to spool up.

It still happens to me now, and i've had the car over a year.

AL

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Tell you what S3Babee, I'll swap my K03S turbo for your K04 and that'll cure your lag probs. No charge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

I still do exactly the same Al now and again, after nearly a year of owning the car. Getting those flying starts out of junctions is a pig to get right at first, you either give it too much and smoke the clutch or bog the [censored] down.